I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lead core rod?????
Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 03:01PM

A customer just asked me if I could build him a couple of lead core rods. I said I'm sure I could if I knew what the heck they were LOL
He said he thought they should be 12-17 lb with a fast tip and no more than 5.5-6 ft long. Anybody have any experience with a rod like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lead core rod?????
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 03:44PM

From what I have seen of rods using lead core line, it has been on charters on Lake Michigan. The captain was using more of a 7 foot rod and moderate action. Lead core line really has no stretch so when the fish is close to the boat you want the rod to give more if that fish decided to take a run. The captain used longer rods because they were set up over all the down riggers and close dipsy diver rods. If all you were using is lead core rods, then a shorter rod would not be a problem, but I think I owuld still want at least a moderate action blank.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.74.---)
Date: March 30, 2010 05:24PM

BILL GIVE ME A CALL...MIDWEST ROD AND REEL DID A LEADCORE SHORTY ROD...WE HAD TO MODELS AND THE GUYS REALLY LIKE THEM...THEY WHERE 5 FEET LONG

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Dale Thiel (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 08:05PM

in the process of building a lead core rod right now it is a mhf 7 ft rod

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: March 30, 2010 11:26PM

Lead core rods come in all sizes and lengths. Any nice moderate to slow action rod from 6' to 9' will work fine for leadcores. I use Batson RDR blanks in almost all of the offered lengths for core rods. My own core rods are the RDR96MH. Having a "Full Core" which is 10 colors of leadcore line, or 100 yards takes a rod with a certain amount of power to bring it back in, especially with a fish on it. While the leadcore line itself has almost no stretch, typically at least a 50-100 foot mono leader is used, so that really doesn't come into play with core rods. The splice between the core and mono leader is generally a blood, or albright knot, which can cause small issues with smaller guides, I generally use 10's for running guides to the tip. Reels used for leadcore are generally huge, so choose a reel seat that can accommodate a Tekota 800, Saltist 50, Penn 309 or similiar frame sized reel. Core rods are generally used in conjunction with inline planer boards to get the lines to the outside of the spread. They are put either in rod holder trees on the sides of the gunwalls, or in rocket launcher holders above. Longer rods make it easier for fishermen to control fish when they get close to the boat. A longer rod makes it easier to get over downrigger rods, and other diver or core rods when a crazy fish runs close to the boat, especially for shorter fishermen or kids. What length you chose really depends on how the intended fishermen will use them in his trolling program. I have a set of 6 leadcore rods in the shop right now for a GLN salmon tourny captain. They are RDR96MH's.

Lately more and more walleye guys are using leadcores to get lines farther away from their boats. These rods could easily be 5'-6' as there is generally many less rods/lines in play at any given time.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 31, 2010 12:57AM

Tony,
What type guides/material are you using for lead core! I have been using AmTac HDHG for walleye/salmon/steelhead trolling rods (Kind of overklii, but my users love them), but not sure if they will hold up for lead core. Have my doubts. What do you think?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2010 01:47AM

Mike,
Any good guide with a ceramic insert will hold up just fine to lead core line.

Remember, lead core line is essentially a dacron line. The center of the line happens to have lead on the inside. But the lead does not touch the guides. Only dacron touches the guide, so there is really no special requirement needed for a lead core rod guide.

I think that many folks here in the midwest prefer a medium power moderate action rod in a 6'6" length.
Actually a blank that many folks like to use for a crank bait often work well for lead core as long as it has enough power.

You can handle and pickup any of the specialized rods that are labeled lead core in various tackle and sporting goods shops to get an even better feel for what is needed.

Just go to some of the sponsors and take a look at some of th e finished production rods that are labeled lead core and you will also get a very good idea for the best blank.

Take care
Roger

Date: March 31, 2010 09:44AM

Ditto on the line guides, nothing special required there, just be sure to keep them slightly ovesized. Be careful when taking retail rods specs for salmon. Salmon trolling rods aren't nearly as refined as bass rods from retail companies. Many times they use th same blanks, just lable them different. Any nice soft blank with a rating like 12-20# or 12-25 will be fine. Don't go too light though (10-17), a large king with 100 yards of lead, heading for the opposite coast will ruin a day by spooling a rod that can't put the breaks on.

Date: March 31, 2010 10:11AM

I ude Batson SPG 845's and Batson RDR's for trolling rods. What's your preference for copper wire guides????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 31, 2010 10:32AM

The SPG845 is another awesome core rod, forgot that one. It is actually my goto stick for riggers. I use zirconia rings for copper, maybe overkill. Copper isn't abrasive either, but has to be slightly more so than core.

Date: March 31, 2010 11:36AM

I got that from you!!! Love them! What guide models?

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: March 31, 2010 11:52AM

BCCB's from Amtak, and similiar from Batson. For charters that I know will not take good care of them, maybe a similiar casting guide but braced. The set I am building for the tourny team I am using single foots for the running guides (spiral rods). This guy takes awesome care of his rods. Note: Leadcore sounds great coming in through zirconia guides, like most any other braid. With the new Saltist 50LC and its 6.4 : 1 gear ratio, sounds almost like a violin cord LOL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster