I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken spigot
Posted by: RogerStg (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 06, 2001 11:49AM

A friend of mine has a Fisher pc 9 foot 6 wt with a broken spigot on the tip section. He has been unable to find anyone to repair it since the company has gone out of business. Is the job as simple as tapping the remainder of the male portion back into the blank until it falls out of the bottom of the blank, then replacing it with a new one glued into place? If so, where would I find replacements of the proper size and taper? Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken spigot
Date: October 06, 2001 11:57AM

Oops, it's a G40 4 pc.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 06, 2001 11:58AM

Roger it can be done, but it is not quite as simple as it might seem at first glance. It is almost too involved to go into here in a message board post. Ralph O'Quinn wrote a very in-depth on how to restore such breaks to like-new condition in the Volume 4, Issue #1 of RodMaker Magazine. You can use the link on the left hand side of this page to reach the site and go to the back issue page and find that issue there.

What you will ultimately have to do is drill out the remainder of the plug, then fashion a "laminated" spigot/plug from the proper materials (scrap blank pieces of the correct size and taper) and reinstall it into the rod. Simply too much to go into here.

If your friend truly wants to salvage the rod then the repair should be correctly and carefully done. You can do it, but it will be a full afternoon's endeavor if you have not done it before.

Date: October 06, 2001 12:10PM

Tom, the process you describe is out of my league, perhaps you can recommend someone that I can forward to my non-internet capable friend.

The reason I mentioned backing out the broken spigot is because this fellow contacted Winston about the repair and was told that that was how they do it. I wonder if they were pulling his leg.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 06, 2001 01:01PM

I had one repaired years ago by one of the companies and they drilled it out or so they said. I cannot imagine knocking it loose. I would think that would damage the blank. If it is epoxied in there I would suspect damage would result if you attempt to pound it out of there. I don't think tapping it will do the trick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster