I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

brush cleaner question
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 06:03PM

I went to ace hardware store today and look around and see something about paint brush cleaner and i wonder if this one will work to clean a expoy ? or i need to be expoy clean ? how about acetone ? and what is ur advice about the chemicals that i has see at ace hardware store..
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: brush cleaner question
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: March 23, 2010 07:17PM

I have tried a ridiculous number of things to clean my brushes and there are only two things that I have found that work well. U40 brush cleaner which is fine if you want to buy it a couple ounces at a time and have to wait for shipping, or epoxy thinner. Keep in mind epoxy thinner is ridiculously harsh. So if money and or time are of no concern U40 brush cleaner is awesome. Xylene, Acetone and several others were less than acceptable by my standards. There are several other rod building specific cleaner brands that I have not tried so I am not putting any of them down. In fact I just recently got some experimental cleaner from Silvia at Bullard International, the same company responsible for the Diamond II finish. I have not fully evaluated it yet so I will not say one way or the other at this time. Please feel free to e-mail me personally to get my report on the Bullard International experimental cleaner.
James

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 07:58PM

+1 for u-40

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 11:56PM

Mid temp lacquer thinner

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 12:21AM

U40 Brush Cleaner also has a fairly low odor. It's hard to believe that something with such a low odor has so much strength in removing partially set up epoxy. I've tried quite a few products as well and this U40 gets my endorsement. Great investment as it keeps my brushes going much longer than anything else I've used.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: March 24, 2010 12:29AM

U-40 here too!
It is a good solvent for a lot more things than just epoxy too.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 12:35AM

I don't know about the harsh chemicals, but maybe it is the finish I use, but I use first IA, then DA, then good old Joy soap and water and my expensive brushes are lasting years, But that is just me.
Kerry

Date: March 24, 2010 12:55AM

Kerry,

Soak bristles in the U40 Cap, then rinse with water...................I can't see myself investing in the effort you put forth. More power to ya' brother.

Walt,

You're right. This stuff is better on my truck than Bug and Tar Remover, when needed.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 03:01AM

If I have to clean a brush - which I seldom do - the only thing I use is Xylene.
Xylene is the chemical of choice - although quite toxic when breathed - to thin and otherwise clean up epoxy.

But, the best thing to do with brushes is to throw them away after use and never clean them.

I used to have expensive brushes and spend a lot of time, money and effort to keep them clean. However, I found that the expensive brushes really didn't apply finish any better than the 3 cent brushes that I use now.

I buy brushes, in large quantities, so the price per brush is quite low - less than 5 cents per brush. I use once and then throw it away. I simply make the 5 cents part of the rod cost, so pass it along to the customer.
If I were to use expensive brushes, I would be using 20-50 cents worth of brush cleaner, each time that I cleaned a brush and then would spend 5 to 15 minutes on the brush to get it clean.

Simple, easy, and inexpensive - cheap brush, use once and throw away.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 08:21AM

Roger, I do about the same as use...I just consider them a supply at tax time...

When I do occasionally use a nice brush I use the U40 cleaner as well with a water rinse at the end.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 12:40PM

I use the higher quality $5.00 to 6.00 dollar brushes always have and always will. Because I find that I get better results.

And if I’m building on such a tight budget that I have to pass on 5 cents to the customer to recoup my loses of keep my profit margins, then I can pass on the 20 or 30 cents worth of cleaner just as easily.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 05:42PM

I use throw away brushes everyday when doing repairs. But when I'm epoxying my thread wraps on new builds I use higher quality brushes like Steve. I think they do a much better job at applying a smooth finish on my guide wraps and especially on my decals. A soft brush leaves a much smoother coat and not like a stiffer throw away brush that leaves ridges in my finish. As for cleaning them I've been using the Bullard brush cleaner and can tell you that it doesn't take more than one minute to clean my brush in the solution, wipe it down with a paper towel and set it aside to dry. It also leaves the bristles as soft as when it was new.

[swamplandtackle.com]

Lance

Date: March 24, 2010 05:55PM

I've personally never seen a good quality thread finish job that was done using cheap throw away brushes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster