I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is Crystal Coat still being produced by someone?
Posted by: Julian Ferras (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 11:14AM

When Dale Clemens was in the rod building supply business he sold a wrapping finish, Crystal Coat, that was the best I have ever used. It was bubble free, flexible and durable. Does anyone know of another product similar to Crystal Coat? Or is Crystal Coat still being produced by another dealer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Crystal Coat still being produced by someone?
Posted by: Steven Kincaid (---.dyn-wireless.t6broadband.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 03:51PM

Julian: Yes, Crystal Coat is still made and distributed by HUT Products. You can order it online throught their website.
Steve Kincaid

Steve Kincaid

Date: March 07, 2010 04:59PM

Great! Thanks for the info Steve.
Julian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2010 05:58PM

No, the Crystal Coat that HUT sells is not the same product at all. It's vastly different.

What you want is called Klass Kote. I think the company is in Tennessee.

Posted by: Steven Kincaid (---.dyn-wireless.t6broadband.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 06:29PM

Tom: I've used Crystal Coat as a buffing compound on many of my turnings. What's the difference between the 2 products? Is the other one better?

Steve Kincaid

Date: March 07, 2010 06:58PM

The Clemens Crystal Coat product was a 2-part epoxy paint sold for use as a thread coating. The HUT item is a one part product, either a wiping varnish or a urethane. Not sure which, but these are not even remotely similar.

Klass Kote is the same 2-part epoxy paint.

The names are the same, but the products are entirely different.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 12:26AM

Tom,
So you are saying the Klass Kote is essentially the same product as Clemen's Crystal Coat?
Understandably,a one part item will be different from a two part epoxy paint. The HUT Crystal Coat certainly doesnt seem useable as a coating for guide wraps,based on their website info.
Chuck

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 03:54AM

I WAS TOLD ONCE THAT A PRODUCT NAMED "HOBBY POXY" OR SIMILAR NAME WAS THE SAME THING.

Date: March 08, 2010 08:09AM

Chuck,

Yes, Klass Kote is the same product at the Crystal Coat. It has a few more years evolution at this point so the formulation may be improved over what Clemens sold all those years ago.

Date: March 08, 2010 06:13PM

Found Klass Kote on line. Its distributed by Diversified Solutions. Thanks for the information. I going to try the Klass Kote to see if it is as good as Clemens' Crystal Coat.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 06:52PM

Julian,
I used Crystal Coat for many years. My process was to mix the two parts in a film canister, apply my first coat right out of the canister, then cap and put into the freezer. The next day I'd hold the film canister in the palm of my hand until the contents flowed freely, and made the next application. It was very unusual for me to mix a second batch. The first batch went in and out of the freezer until the rod was done.

Do a wrap on a test blank section and give it a try.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster