I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Cases
Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: October 05, 2001 10:58AM

I've had a heck of a time finding just the right rod cases and socks to match my custom rods. I hear many folks say they make their own out of plasic tubing/piping. Getting the pvc piping seems it would be as easy as a trip to Home Depot, but what about end caps, covers, socks, etc?

My goal is to include a case with every one of my rods, but the trick is keeping the cost around 20 bucks so I'm not eating into profits. Anyone have experience making their own cases in a variety of sizes and colors who can offer suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Cases
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 05, 2001 12:13PM

There was a company up in the NorthWest a few years back that supplied either cases or pieces for making your own out of ABS tubing. They had formed caps and end plugs that were very tasteful and sharp looking. Unfortunately, I do not believe they are still in business.

If you are willing to purchase in some small quantity, you can buy the anodized or brushed tubing and assorted caps and plugs to make your own. These should easily come in under the $20 mark. There are many companies making these items. I'd check first with Golden Witch and ask Russ about his new tubes and parts. REC also makes these and I think they will supply you with the pieces you need to make your own. Then there are all the sponsors listed here, most of whom sell tubes and might be sell you the parts if they obtain them that way.

I'm sure others will help out with some posts on the subject here.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 05, 2001 12:16PM

Rob,
You might check out the Alpine burgundy colored rod cases available through Pac. Bay. They are in your price range. The rod socks I like to use from St. Croix are black , quite inexpensive, and adequate. The combination of the two may be the ticket to keep in your price range. Richard's Rod & Reel carries all these fine products at competetive pricing.

You can make PVC tube on your own, but the cordura cover that comes on either St. Croix, Alpine or other rodcases make the price attractive and save you time and trouble. We use to sew up our own rodcases and still do for some better fits with odd size rods, but you can't really go wrong with the ready made ones if they suit your size reuriements.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2001 12:20PM

Check these out. I bought one and used it on a PVC tube for an 8 1/2 foot 2pc rod and it worked out very nicely. A few bucks for the tube, a few bucks for the cover, and a few more for a rod bag. I like 'em.

[]

Bob

Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 05, 2001 08:02PM

I am pretty sure you can BUY completed St. Croix rod tubes in the nice codura covering for $20, ready to go. Snip the thread holding their label on and remove it. The new ones might have embrodered logos though. Check with JW Outfitters or DB Dunn. They make these cases to spec, cordura covered. They are not expensive and the fabric covered cases are nicer and tougher in my opinion anyway.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 05, 2001 10:58PM

Pete,
I agree the St. Croix cases are nice, but to be honest they range slightly higher in price (retail) than mentioned, but in my opinion worth it. They are black cordura covered with a cloth liner. Very functional and look good. We have these available in a range of sizes as shown in their new rodbuilders catalog, and also at dealer pricing for those with a bus. #

The
Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel.

Posted by: Gene Dunkin (---.tnt4.topeka.ks.da.uu.net)
Date: October 07, 2001 09:10PM

Try Bingham or Netcraft, both are close to $20.00, very nice aluminum cases similar to the old Fenwick tubes.

Posted by: alllen (---.ucc.usyd.edu.au)
Date: October 12, 2001 02:16AM

though Im not wanting to take anything away from the sponsors of this site
heres a tip you may want to consider
have a look at this web site [www.fishnet.com.au]
Wolfgang makes some pretty neat rod tubes and customises both colour and size for the trade.

The reason I post it here is, because of the shocking state of the Aussie dollar ( 50c US last time I looked) at the moment
your US$ can get some pretty good value for money. To save on delivery you wouldnt need to import the entire tube just the sleeves and then do your own PVC inserts which would save you more. I reckon the sleeves would cost you about $15-$20 US
at your door and they are pretty neat. Give him a call you have nothing to lose but the price of a phone call. oh and tell him I sent you I need the plug.

Allen Glover

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster