I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

91 % rubbing alcohol
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 03, 2010 02:57PM

i wonder if 91% rubbing alcohol to be use for clean after expoy and finishing ? what are u use with rubbing alcohol ? what is advice ? i will plan on buy when i get respond from you...
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 91 % rubbing alcohol
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: February 03, 2010 03:04PM

I have used the 91% for clean up but I could not tell much difference compared to regular alcohol. It works fine to clean up epoxy and Rod Bond. I use heavy duty paper towels (the blue ones that come in a box) and wet them down. Also use to do final clean up on finish brushes. Do use care as it will burn and does so with little flame.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 03:13PM

I use denatured alchohol. I also have a extinguisher on the wall by my building bench. It doesn't take much to get it going. I had an experience with a friend that was learning to build and needed a place to put finish on. His shirt sleave caught on fire, and in the scrmble to put that out the alchohol torch went on the floor and the next thing you know the here was fire on the floor as well. We got lucky as nobody was burned and my house is still standing. Do be careful with it though

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 03:27PM

Josh,
91% will work all right for cleaning. Not quite as good as 100% but all right.

However, it is not a good idea to use 91% in lamps The 91% doesn't burn nearly as well as the 100% and it also burns with a smoky flame.

Just go to your local big box store, and go to the paint department. Pick up 100% alcohol there for a good price.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 03, 2010 03:31PM

I use 91% or 98% if I can get it. It's cheaper than denatured. I would wear some latex or nitrile gloves (farm supply store milking gloves are great). I use paper towels - the kind that are half sheet size. It saves on paper. Ditto the fire extinguisher! I forgot that my alcohol lamp was still lit after putting a tip on. You can't see blue flame... until things on your bench erupt in flame. You might want a phone to call 911 if you don't have the fire extinguisher. Murphy lives next door to me.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2010 03:51PM

It will work well for most clean up chores. If you use it to clean brushes or wipe epoxy, it'll work fine provided you haven't let the epoxy start to set too much.

If you're going to burn it in a lamp, use Denatured Alcohol (stove fuel) over Isopropryl.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 08:15PM

Denatured is cheaper if you by it in larger quantities, no? Wher can you get 91% Iso in a bigger bottle, I only see it in teh small supermarket size. Soem blanks do not like DNA, the paint/finish sometimes rubs off and/or dulls and can become slightly tacky. DNA also dries quicker, someitme sI prefer 91%.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 03, 2010 10:46PM

Billy ; You can get the 91% Alcohol at any Wal Mart or any Drug Store in 1 quart bottles. And you are correct, it will take the finish off a lot of different blanks, especially high gloss finished blanks.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 12:28AM

I look frequently enough, I never see th larger bottles, only the small 16oz'ers. I'd love to get a gallon ofit like I can DNA. It's one of those things, onc eI find it, I'll see it all over. I had teh same problem with Parrifin wax, I looked in a dozen stores, finally found it, then it was everywhere staring me in myface, lol.

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 03:53AM

Try a printing/graphics shop. They will most likely have 99% IPA in gallon bottles. Maybe you could work out a deal.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: February 04, 2010 07:35AM

Billy, you can order it from McMaster Carr. A five gallon can is about a hundred bucks last time I bought some. You can try and look around locally for some place that sells "techincal grade". It is made for industrial use so is cheaper than the pharmaceutical grade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster