I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Replacing old surf rod guides
Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:17AM

I have a 12 foot vintage Fenwick fiberglass surf casting rod designed to use 2 to 6 ounce lure weights, as well as an older St. Croix 11 foot graphite surf rod for 1 to 3 ounce weights. Both rods currently have double-footed spinning guides.

I want to employ the New Guide Concept on these rods. I will be fishing with 20 lb mono as well as 30 lb braid.

Will the Fuji BLAG guides be strong enough for this application?

Do I need to consider a V-type guide to raise the line off the blank?

What is the minimum size guide I should consider (I do not intend to use leaders with either the braid or mono, although I will like attach pre-snelled rigs)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacing old surf rod guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:24AM

I would use higher frame guides for the butt and transition guides. For the choker and running guides you can use low frame single foot or low frame double foot casting guides.

If you're not going to pass shock leader knots, you may well be able to get by with size 8 for your smallest sized guides.

Date: January 28, 2010 10:39AM

Thank you, Tom - will strength of low frame single guides be an issue?

Is BLAG a low frame single guide? If not, can you give an example of a low frame single guide?

Rick

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2010 11:08AM

I can no longer keep up with all the various designations from all the various companies. Sorry.

Just browse the catalogs or websites and select the type guide needed.

Low frame guides aren't as subject to damage as higher frame guides. Thus even the fly type single foots end up being pretty solid on most rods. If in doubt, use a low frame casting guide with double feet.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-183-127.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 12:03PM

Yes blag are the alconite fly guides with black frames. I know absolutely nothing about surf rods but the fact that you will be using them on a rod set up for 20-30lb line makes me think they will work fine. I use them on salmon rods that I run the same line on and they work just fine. Using a Tony Pena knot, I have gotten away with as small as #5 blags as runners with 30lb braid tied to 20lb mono.

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 02:39PM

I cannot tell by your question whether or not you will be using these rods for casting or spinning applications when your re-work is complete. I highly recommend the taller guides for casting, to keep the line off the blank. That said:

1) for the Fenwick, if it one of the big ones such as the "Big Surfstick" it probably now comes with five or six guides which start out at about a 50 and end at a 10, with a 10 diameter tip. My redo of that rod as a spinner would be to go 50-40-25-20-16- (16) with at least a 12 diameter tip ring. For casting configuration I would go 30-25-20-16-16-16 with at least a 12 diameter tip ring. Why the apparently large guides? The structural strength for when the heavy (50-80 lb) shock leader rattles through on the cast with 6-8n bait (frames and rings are more robust). The height is also better.

By the way, even if you just replace the old heavy guides with the shock ring with new lighter strong ones without the shock ring, you will notice a huge performance improvement. On a rework of an old Big Surfstick some years ago I remember weighing the old vs the new guides on a postal scale and the new guides were something like one fifth the weight of the old ones. And what a difference it made on the finished rod!

2) For the lighter one as a spinner I'd probably go with 50-40-25-20-16-12-(12) and for casting go with 25-20-16-16-12-12-(12). And at least a 12 diameter ring at the top. Your shock leader will probably be lighter on this one given the blank rating.

Lots of time on the beach and fooling with variations leads me toward this set of choices...and recommendations.

Whit

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 02:59PM

Take a look at these guides from Batson Enterprises>>They are perfect for tyhe application you require..[www.batsonenterprises.com].
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Batson TEAM Directly..

Batson TEAM
877-875-2381
batson@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: January 28, 2010 03:47PM

Whit,

thanks for your response

I will be using as spinning rods

Rick

Date: January 29, 2010 10:01AM

Rick:

With spinning in mind, on the Fenwick I would consider something like the Pac Bay BSHG series, and for the lighter rod something like the Amtak HLG series. Variations come in black or chrome.

Whit

Date: January 29, 2010 04:49PM

Thanks Whit - the specificity is much appreciated - I was able to take a look at images of each guide.

I take it I want a lighter, flexible guide for the light spinning rod, and two feet are better than one :)

Regards,
Rick

Date: February 01, 2010 09:05AM

Rick:

If you want to get edgy, on the St Croix you could have the top 3 or 4 guides as single foot, but the 1-3 oz rating is the heavy end of the scale. IMO I would stick with the double foot guides.

Another factor is whether you are hard on your rods, i.e. in travel, etc. The rougher you are I'd go with the double feet.

Also if you plan on using anything more than about a 30 lb shock leader, I'd go with the double feet. Just the knot rattling through the guides on a hefty cast pops out inserts, especially on the smaller guides.

Whit

Date: February 01, 2010 11:05AM

Makes sense, Whit.

And as you point out, replacement of the older, heavier guides should make a huge difference in rod performance. After all, I am not dropshotting!

Thanks for your help,
Rick

Date: February 01, 2010 02:20PM

Rick:

Not to prolong this thread unnecessarily, I have built a number of rods in the 7 1/2 - 10 foot range, just for surf fishing, that actually did use the single foots although in a casting configuration. There are mostly styled for lighter lures and iron in the surf of, say, up to 1 1/2 oz (even though the blanks may be rated heavier) and using 10-15 lb line with 12 lb (.035) the most common. I really like the lightweignt configuration when there is lots of casting to be done and the surf is light.

Whit

Date: February 01, 2010 03:38PM

Thanks Whit - I need to think about how to balance out what I want to fish with - I may end up making the light spinning rod even lighter if it can handle the lighter weight lures well. As for the Fenwick - it is kind od a monster and I think double-footed guides are the way to go.

From what I read recently about the forces generated during surf casting, I may use ave 50 lb braid as well to avoid the need for a shock leader.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Rick

Date: February 02, 2010 08:53AM

Rick

I completely agree with the trajectory of your thinking.

If you'd like to chat over the phone e-mail me first at pengle@prenova.com and we can exchange phone numbers.

Whit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster