I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Thread tension problems
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 10:18AM

I had all the problems you are having till I saw a machine and copied there washer - that does not turn - keeps the tension the same Does not look pretty but I am remaking the holder and have some more ideas: Just make the washer after the wing not have some sort of say a pin to keep it from turning: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 11:09AM

You can run muliple spools of thread selectively off the same tensioner, so a commercial tensioner that doesn't require designing and cobbling only costs $5. And the tension is consistent.

Are you guys wanting to run multiple threads at the same time and therefore trying to avoid the $5 times some number of spools to be run at the same time? Since I don't do that I just spent the $5 and have no problems. My whole winding rig is hand made except for the tensioning device and it all works fine.

I admire your creativity and perseverance!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 12:16PM

Mike

You got a picture of this Paper Clip tensioner. I would like to see it. can not get a picture in my mind when you posted of it a while back

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Sproul (66.18.255.---)
Date: January 20, 2010 12:29PM

I have spent a LOT of time trying to solve the thread tension problem and have finally come-up with a solution that provides smooth, fully adjustable thread tension.

Basically forget about the spring.

I use a threaded rod, two UHMW plastic washers (very low friction) on each side of the spool, and two opposing rare-earth magnets instead of the spring, A single nut at the end is used for tension adjustment (by hand). The lack of a spring means that there is nothing physically touching the washers resulting in unobstructed smooth movement of the thread spool. The force of the opposing magnets allows for infinite adjustment of the tension. You can actually tighten it hard enough to prevent spool movement without the opposing magnets touching. The key here is that the magnets have to be opposing, not attracting - like some other designs I have seen.

This system works flawlessly and is the best I have found to-date.

I got the magnets from Lee Valley: [www.leevalley.com]
I made the UHMW washers myself out of a 1/4 inch UHMW sheet.

I will try to take pictures tonight and post them to illustrate further.

Posted by: Richard Sproul (96.51.198.---)
Date: January 20, 2010 10:50PM

Pictures are now posted on Photo page

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2010 09:07AM

Posted by: Ron Johnson (---.gfnet.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 07:32AM

Thanks all, I used the binder clip trick and it worked fine, so I'll probably just stick to that. Although, I like the magnet idea.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster