I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need fly rod blank recommendations
Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 10, 2010 05:39PM

My son lives in Idaho and has gotten into fly fishing. I would like to build him and his wife a fly rod. I have never built a fly rod before. I need some recommendations on a blank for them. I don't have a lot of money so I was thinking a Rainshadow or maybe a St Croix. He said he likes about a 6 wt. and 8.5 or 9'. I was thinking about turning a wooden handle, I have some mahogany, walnut, mesquite and oak. Will this be too heavy? I do have some pretty nice cork but I wanted to do something a little different. I do have a Rainbow Trout and a couple of fly patterns for weaves. I also thought I might use feathers for alignment marks on each section.
Any help from you experts will be appreciated.
Pat

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need fly rod blank recommendations
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2010 05:54PM

It will add weight, but due to the fact that the weight will be right in the hand it's not going to harm the rod performance to any real degree.

Consider boring your grip oversize and then shimming with lightweight cork or foam to fit. This will also help to keep weight to a minimum.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2010 06:16PM

Those are pretty heavy woods if you plan on using them for the whole grip, if only for trim they will work fine in combination with cork or burl cork. Adding weaves will also add weight. Most of us fly fishermen prefer the lightest rods we can build.

Yuo cannot go wrong with the Batson line of Blanks, Forecast or Rainshadow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2010 06:18PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2010 07:08PM

The exotic cork will work better then the wood. easyer to sand and shape. if you think you need weight because the rod is 9-10- ft long, put the weight as a fighting butt and also a wood reel seat . You want it at the end of the rod.

Like said. Batson has nice stuff Dan Craft is also a good place to look.

Check the sponsors on the left. St Croix is very well liked !!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.93.82.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 10, 2010 07:11PM

Take a look at the Cabela's PT+ very nice casting blank available in 2 or 4 piece.
Would also recommend Recoil Titanium single or double foot guides for the top 3 to 4 guides.
Walnut was the material for most traditional seats. The mesquite may be quite attractive. You might steer away from the oak due to the grain unless you can find a very tight one to handle the weathering. Struble makes a very attractive nickle silver skeleton. For a more reasonable price you could use the American Tackle skeleton.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2010 08:13PM

Pat,

Give this method from Stan Grace a try [www.rodbuilding.org] I have done some overbored and shimmed like that and they work/feel great and very light

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 10, 2010 09:26PM

Pat,
Wood that will be used on a fishing rod must be stabilized ("plasticized" under pressure and heat) and as such will be much heavier than unstabilized "raw" wood. There is a lot to know re wood of the type you are thinking about. i.e. moisture content, etc. Best to google stabilized wood and pick some brains.
Go to @#$%& and look at some of the exotic woods offered - African Blackwood, Ebony, etc - and you will see that they GENERALLY list the moisture content - very important.

Also - no one would wish to cast a 6wt with an all wood handle - O.K., maybe, to hang over the mantel, but not to actually use.
Herb

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 10, 2010 10:30PM

Thanks Guys
I knew I was coming to the right place. I have never even cast a fly rod so it is a little intimidating to try to build one. I will use cork with maybe some burl cork or burnt cork. I bought a book about building fly rods but I may have more questions for you guys.
Thanks
Pat

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2010 10:59PM

Wood used on rods does NOT have to be stabilized! Many types of woods are used every day on fly rods and the like without "Stabilizing!" As long as the wood is sealed well with a good finish like Tru Oil, CA or the like it works just fine.

Check out the photo section for grips and reel seats, most of the are NOT stabilized.

Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: January 11, 2010 01:06PM

For someone new to fly fishing I'd pay particular attention to making sure that the rod's line weight and fly line weight match up. The Batson RX6 blanks are good blanks to learn on and I've found if Batson calls an RX6 a 5 weight, or a 6 weight, etc., it is. The Cabela's PT+ are fantastic fly blanks too. I've built a number of them now, both 2 pc and 4 pc. I do CCS tests on all blanks and the PT+ blanks (and RX6 ) blanks are dead on regarding the line weight Cabela's lists for them. You couldn't go wrong building your son an 8'-6" or 9'-0" for a 6 weight line. A great rod to learn on and if it's the PT+ he'll be using it years from now. The last 9'-0" 2pc #6 line PT+ I built had an AA = 68 and ERN = 6.5. Just slightly fast, but it never felt too fast and was very well behaved throwing the #6 line, even within 20-30 feet, just as I expected given the CCS numbers. The RX6's I've built are typically a little slower, but that's not a bad thing, especially if you're new to casting a fly rod. I'd recommend keeping the rod light, use top quality guides, seat and handle. Wood is nice, but I'd recommend staying with cork for the handle, It's lighter and in wet, cold weather cork will prove its worth.

Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster