I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson RX8+S822.5 or RX8+S823?
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:59PM

The RX8+S822.5 is listed as "Medium" power and the RX8+S823 as "Medium-Heavy."

I know that each manufacturer varies in their interpretation of these terms. Do these descriptions seem about right, or would these blanks be closer to ML and M blanks from St. Croix? The 822.5 is often mentioned as a drop shot rod, which to me, brings to mind a "soft" medium rod.

The 822.5 is listed as weighing .23 oz more than the MH 823, and I would prefer the lighter blank, but a true MH rod would be over powered for the spinning rod I have in mind.

The rod will be for casting 1/8 to 3/8 oz. jigs with 3/0 aberdeen hooks for walleye and smallmouth, and I'm aiming for something that has an action similar to my 6'8" MXF Shimano Crucial (very similar to a St. Croix Avid of the same dimensions.)

Which blank would you recommend?

Thanks.

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 11:00PM by Dan Ertz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson RX8+S822.5 or RX8+S823?
Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.188.---)
Date: January 06, 2010 12:06AM

Dan.

I would pick the 823 for your application. I dont think you will get good hook penetration fishing a jig with the 822.5 as it has a much softer tip.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2010 08:23AM

I agree with mike, unless you are fishing the hooks exposed
If you are pulling the hook through the bait before getting penetration in the fish I would opt for the 823.
With exposed hook set ups in the weights you’re referring to I would opt for the 822.5
Both of them are fantastic blanks! Light, crisp, and transmit sensations very well.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 06, 2010 07:05PM

Thanks Mike and Steve.

The rod will have 8lb test mono, and be used mainly with exposed hook jigs and some jigs with very light snag guards. It will be for mostly short casts to relatively shallow rocky areas in a river where an XF reacting blank is a must to minimize snags. It will also be used for some longer line drifting in 15 - 25' of water and I was concerned that the 822.5 might be a bit soft with stretchy mono line?

I've tried to use a 7' MLF Shimano Compre (IM-8 blank) for shallow jig fishing and while it's reasonably sensitive, it's SO SLOW that by the time the rod reacts when I feel the jig touch bottom it often times ends up sinking into the rock and snagging. With my 6'8" MXF Shimano Crucial (IM-9 blank) the rod is much more responsive and gets snagged much less, so I am trying to avoid having a rod that's too soft, but also don't want it to be overpowered for its intended purpose.

So from the responses to the original posting, it looks like the 822.5 is the choice of the two blanks for this rod, or does the additional information above change this? They both sound like great blanks, and I hope to put this together so that it is as sensitive and responsive, or more so, than a 6'8" MXF SCV factory rod.

Thanks again to everyone that has responded to this and my other posts. The knowledgeable and friendly members who post here, plus the amazing amount of information that the site contains is remarkable.

Dan

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2010 08:34PM

The only change I would consider it going to a fluorocarbon line. It will increase the sensitivity immensely which may further reduce your snag issue

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.bnl.gov)
Date: January 06, 2010 08:37PM

Dan,

I have and use both blanks. I built the 822.5 mainly for swimming 1/8 and 1/4 oz. ball heads, but both blanks perform the task very well. Based on the info in your second post, the 823 would probably be the better choice. The tip of the 822.5 just won't move the heavier jigs as quickly as you would like.

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster