I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split grip handle shape
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 09:56AM

After looking at the long thread on split grips, I wonder if we should talk about the shape of the split grips?
Many split grips are shaped so that the largest part of the grip is at the back of the reel seat and gets progressively smaller.
i.e. a semi ball shaped configuration.

In some of the posts, there was mention of folks hands slipping off the handle during certain casting situations.

After building many different shaped split grip handles I have come to a preferred shape which is similar to the one mentioned above- i.e. a nice smooth ball of cork to fill the hand and be comfortable, but then add a flare back up at the back of the grip.
i.e. large near the reel seat, taper down to fit the palm and allow for good wrist action, but then flare back up to serve as a backstop to keep the hand from sliding back off the grip.

I always tell my clients that if they don't like the shape, I can trim down the up flare at the back of the grip. However, none of them request it and all seem to like the added stability that one gets from this shape.

Any thoughts?

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split grip handle shape
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 10:02AM

I like this one for comfort.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 10:17AM

Chuck my guess - throws right handed - one finger in front of trigger on cast - changes hands to hold in left hand - cranks with right hand - does he palm reel or hold it with finger in front of trigger for bite detection - really good set up.

Most of the guys who use that set up do not cast with left hand and want a shorter grip.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 25, 2009 11:43AM

Chuck; That is one of my favorites. I have a pattern with very similar shape. And I cast and retrieve exactly like Bill described.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 12:17PM

Guilty as charged. I palm it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2009 12:18PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 26, 2009 09:29PM

I do very simiar to Chuck!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 08:59PM

I like to exagerate the flare
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I'll cast with the right hand and reel with the left hand; the same as I do with the spinning rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster