I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fly rod Blanks.
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 02:32PM

Hey guys,
I am brand spanking new to this forum. I'm just looking for a little information on fly rod blanks. Aside from the name brand rod manufacturers (ie. sage, winston, Loomis, etc) Who would you say makes the best builder brand graphite fly rod blanks in the business? Are there any high line blanks which rival say any of the sage models without the costly logo? I'm looking to build a rod, but I also want it to be something that i will actually use after a make it. How do the cheaper blanks compare to the big name brands?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2010 10:07AM by Larry Damore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod Blanks.
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 02:47PM

It sounds like a broken record with me -but CTS in NZ, I think, is the best. Jury is out waiting for Northfork Composit blanks (Gary Loomis' new Co,).
Herb

Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.135.---)
Date: December 02, 2009 03:07PM

Larry;

A Batson (sponsored on the left) blank may not be a sage, but for your buck and considering it's your first build I would certainly recommend one. My first builds were on Batson blanks and I still fish them all the time. I'd be giving them some consideration if it were me.

I'm not affiliated with Batson in any way shape or form, I just like their blanks.

Harold

Date: December 02, 2009 03:22PM

Harold Dean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Larry;
>
> A Batson (sponsored on the left) blank may not be
> a sage, but for your buck and considering it's
> your first build I would certainly recommend one.
> My first builds were on Batson blanks and I still
> fish them all the time. I'd be giving them some
> consideration if it were me.
>
> I'm not affiliated with Batson in any way shape or
> form, I just like their blanks.
>
> Harold

Yes I certainly am open for good quality "less" expesive brands as well. As I have stated, I am very new to the concept of rod building. and I am trying to educate myself as much as possible before I jump into my first build. So I should also ask you guys what you think about good blanks across the (price) board. I am really open to any ideas as to what some of the more fishable fly rods are for someone who has fished with many of the best factory rods on the market. I will also add, that I am not really a fly rod "snob" (lol). As of late I have retired may sage for a TFO professional for the last couple of years on my local wisconsin spring creeks. What I really am asking is where also might I get the most bang for my buck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 03:23PM by Larry Damore.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 03:45PM

Look at Dan Craft Five Rivers series of blanks. After using these, I have never even thought about using another Sage blank again. Plus, they're half the price of the Sage blanks. I haven't used the CTS as recommended above, but they spark my interest in that you can get them in different colors. Now that you've found this site, do some research in the Library section and check the links to the CCS (Common Cents System). It will open you up to a whole new way of looking at flyrod blanks!

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2009 03:58PM

I use mostly Batson Rainshadow blanks. The RX7 and RX8 blanks are great value for the money and the RX7+ and RX8+ blanks are as good as any in the business. I don't like their RX6 Forecast blanks. The best (can I say it?) value priced blank is the Tiger Eye from Sevier (no longer a sponser). I have cast the American Tackle blanks and they seem to be good, I just don't like the look of the Matrix blanks.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 02, 2009 04:51PM

IMO, the best value is found in the St Croix lineup ... however, there are other good blanks on the market.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 04:53PM

I would put Batson products against any of the ( High Name ) brands. Check them out. Call them and they will set you up.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 05:16PM

I second the Dan Craft blanks.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: December 02, 2009 05:19PM

Batson RX7 is very hard to beat for the money. I think it performs as well as blanks costing twice as much if not more.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.82.212.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 06:26PM

The Cabela's 805 Traditional 2 is and excellent short 8 weight and is available in kit form.
The Cabela's PT + is a good blank for a little more $$.
Also the St Croix SC2 and SC3 available in kit form from Mud Hole.
The Fenwick HMG was on sale from Cabela's last time I checked.

Date: December 02, 2009 06:31PM

Thanks for all of the input !!! Now that I've found this forum I will have a million more questions about rod building I am sure !! Again thanks a ton!! And feel free to keep the thread running...lol!!

Date: December 02, 2009 06:38PM

First question -- are you new to fly fishing ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2009 07:06PM

I've built on all of the blanks that are mentioned above. My first choice is CTS, somewhat on the expensive side but still cheaper than buying a Sage or Winston blank and I think a CTS blank is better. Very close second is a Dan Craft Sig V series of blanks. I really like the way they feel in the hand, they cast well at all distances and seem pretty true to their weight ratings. For instance a 6wt will cast a 6wt WF very well without the need to overline the rod if short casts are going to be the norm. I've also built on the Batson RX-6 and RX-7. I like the RX-6 in the shorter lengths and line weights. The 7-6 3wt is a sweet blank for being very cost effective. The RX-7 in the 9ft lengths are nice too. I also have a sweet spot for the Diamondback Classic Trout and Classic Western, but unfortunately they are not made anymore, but a few places may have some blanks left in stock. IMO the Classic Trout is one of the best dry fly rods out their.

Date: December 02, 2009 07:27PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First question -- are you new to fly fishing ??

ok heres the story (long winded)

I have litterally been addicted fishing all of my life. I am 45 years old (I hate to admit). Started fishing probably about the time I could walk. I have dabbled on and off with fly fishing since about the time I was 10 or so, but never as my prefered method of fishing. Caught about every species of fish you could imagine from ocean, to river, to lake. Then in my adult life got addicted to tournement bass fishing. Had the boat, a million rods,$1000s in gear etc.
Got a little burned out and the boat, wasn't being used like it should so I sold it and didn't fish once far about a year. Then about 10 years ago, I dug up my flyrod to go trout fishing with some buddies, and BAM got totaly addicted to fly fishing!! (I sense a pattern here..ha) Since then ,I've never really done anything but fly fish for inland trout, steelhead,and salmon.
So hardcore Fly fishermen for at least 10 years, and casually most of my life!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 07:29PM by Larry Damore.

Date: December 02, 2009 07:59PM

Fly fishing to me is like riding a Custom Chop Bike. That I built myself, When I fly fish ALL THE WORLDS PROBLEMS go a way !!! May be is the river or maybe it is that most fly fishers don;t try to fish when they see you in the water. They tend to say hello, but walk away.When the line goes to the rear on the back cast, I like to feel it pull on the rod. this tends to tell me ( it is time to go forward )

It is a thing !! A feeling.

There are a lot of companies that make blanks. But i ask -- How do they fell !!!

How many have you had in your hands ???? And how much technology can a company put inti a graphite blank.

Feel it -- enjoy it. It is a THING.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 08:04PM

In my opinion you cannot go wrong with the Batson line of blanks!

I build only fly rods (fish them as well) and I have been building on them as a first choice when clients do not insist on something else.

They have a very extensive line of fly rod blanks at a number of different price points and actions. They also are great supporters of the rod builder and readily answer our questions.

I build only fly rods and

Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.135.---)
Date: December 02, 2009 08:50PM

Larry.

I too only build fly rods, and like Phil said, if a customer doesn't specify a blank, I always recommend Batson. I have had zero issues with their blanks.

cheers
Harold

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 02, 2009 11:26PM

Bill, I like your thinking here.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 12:31AM

I will put a Rainshadow RX8 up against any blank from any manufacturer any day of the week...Hands down, everyday of the week, and twice on Sunday. Sorry if I sugar-coated anything....

paul

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster