I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Beginner Help....
Posted by: erick (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2001 02:51PM

I have been reading the board for quite some time and would like to get into rod building as a hobby. I have recently ordered a couple of videos and books, so I'm getting closer to actually start a rod here soon. So without prolonging the message anymore can someone recommend a good rod wrapper for a beginner on a tight budget.
Thanks
erick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beginner Help....
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: October 01, 2001 05:02PM

Wait till you get the books, usually will have good ideas for wrapping your first rod on a budget. Cheapest method, book and a bowl, but realize that method will not get you the results as a tension device. Look at the business to the left, there are many out there. Even make a table mounted one for very little $. Also, if you really want a hand wrapper, check out @#$%&, there are always a few used ones there. My biggest advice is read the books, watch the videos, FIRST, then decide how "gung-ho" you want to be. I could never imagine it, but I would hate to invest a large amount of $ into something I did not enjoy or do frequently. Just my opinion.

Posted by: sycreek (---.cts.com)
Date: October 01, 2001 05:35PM

I consider myself a hobbiest when it comes to wrapping rods. I wrap for myself and friends. I do about 12 rods a year and started about 30 years ago.

First with a little time and patience you can construct a couple of padded wood supports to use for wrapping (very little dollors spent). I wrapped this way for over twenty-five years until just recently when a friend gave me his wrapping machine that he no longer used (I now have to wrap all of his rods). I still use the wrapping blocks at times and have produced a variety of different rods from 7' 3pc fly rods to 8' 1pc saltwater boat rods on them. The quality of the wrapping is not in the wrapping machine but in the care one gives to the finished product.

It is my opinion the "Money Well Spent" should go toward a drying motor instead. The drying motor will produce a higher quality and more consistant finish to the rod that you will spend several hours on. Something I learned the hard way after rotating my rods by hand for several years. I didn't want to spend any money on equipment just products.

Have fun wrapping and let the board know if you have any questions, they will be very happy to help, and there is a lot more expertiese here then I can provide. After 30 years I am still learning. I wish there was something like this board when I started learning by trial and error.

Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 01, 2001 06:21PM

If I had it to do over again I'd get a good hand wrapping system with a good set of rollersand thread tension device, around $100. Then some NCP and NON NCP thread and nylon too,some color preserver and finish and then I'd practice X about10 on old rods or blank sections before I started on a "for real" rod project. Give yourself plenty of time; start this winter and by spring fishing seson you'll be rollin your own to beat the band.Warren

Posted by: Jim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 01, 2001 10:17PM

Flex Coat makes a very economical hand wrapper for about $55 or something. It's great for beginners and if you upgrade later you won't be out much on this unit. I'm sure most any of the suppliers list here would have it. The one I'm speaking of has the third rod support which can be positioned anywhere along the rod. I upgraded many years ago but I still have that old unit around here somewhere.

Jim Reid
Certified Professional Rod Builder

Posted by: erick (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2001 11:38PM

Thanks for all the great info guys. I wasn't expecting too many replies. It sure is refreshing to know people can still help one another out. You have a great bunch of folks here keep up the good work.
Thanks
erick

Posted by: Dan E (---.tnt4.rdu1.da.uu.net)
Date: October 05, 2001 11:28PM

Erick,
I too did not know how to begin without dropping too many ducks on the equipment. When I first started, I ordered a butt grip that had a cork/rubber butt on it. Save the plugs!!! I took a stainless sheet metal screw that a spool of thread would fit onto (maybe 4" long) and mounted it on a vertical piece of plywood (4" by 4") by drilling a simple hole. Then (stick with me) made a "washer" on each side out of two scraps of rubberized cork from that same handle and put a thumb screw on the outside of washers and spool. I then put a small screw eyelet, through which to run the thread, on that same vertical piece of wood. I can adjust the tension by screwing the thumb screw and the tension device touches only the spool (not the thread). I still have those same two pieces of rubberized cork and the whole shooting match works great. Whole thing cost me $1.89.
Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster