I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Perma Gloss Container Problem
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: September 14, 2009 02:49AM

Since you all handled my last problem with such ease I figured I would bother you all with another. I have the larger size perma gloss bottle and after many times opening and closing it with the top being stuck, the plastic top finally came apart. Just enough was left for it to catch one tier of threads. Since, the top doesn't seal well enough unless it is stored upside down in the first place the only thing that I could figure to do was to put some cling wrap under the cap then dip the top in wax. Obviously, this is not a long term solution, I need to find a new container, but I need to know for sure that it will work. If I try something and it doesn't work I will have wasted more than half a big bottle of perma gloss. I was considering getting a rubber stopper, but that is about the best I have come up with.

Has anybody else had a similar problem. Or at least a solution? Thanks again.
James

I just realized that the cling wrap might be eaten away by the perma gloss and if so, it will gel and could cause trouble. Does anybody know?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2009 02:51AM by James Willard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perma Gloss Container Problem
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 05:42AM

I thought I saw a post where someone purchased a empty 1 pint or 1/2 pint can from a paint store for storage. then poked or drilled a very small hole in the side at or near the bottom and used a small screw eye to fill the hole. removing the screw eye to access the pernagloss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2009 05:43AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:01AM

I have ALWAYS bought the small bottle for the exact reason you mention above. That said, all I do is wipe all parts of the top down with denatured alcohol prior to closing it tightly. Stored upright out on my bench, and this current bottle is approaching 4 months as I dont often use it. I periodically check to make sure it still opens then shut it back up. I had 2 bottles only allow me to use it for one rod then I came up with this idea and havent had any issues since.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:08AM

PermaGloss will keep for years in a sealed metal paint can. Punch a small nail hole near the bottom and seal with a screw eye. Pour in the PG and seal the can. Some will leak out but will quickly form a seal around the screw eye.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:43AM

I believe the metal cap from a Testor's paint jar will fit the 4 oz bottle.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 09:11AM

Now you should get another container. But I have always put the bottles in the refrigerator. Not the freezer. After opening it, poor what you need into a mixing cup. Then -- wipe --- the threads off with a paper towel VERY WELL. Close to a snug fit, not very very tight.

Had it for years.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 14, 2009 09:59AM

I suppose someone should explain why storing PG in the refrigerator extends its life. Here goes - a "frost free" refrigerator removes moisture from the air inside the unit. The absence of moisture in that environment is why PG stays liquid for a much longer period when stored in the fridge.

In the paint can mentioned above, however, you do not need to store the PG in the refrigerator.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 10:44AM

If you are going to use Perma Gloss regularly buy two of the 4 oz bottles and fill the can -

If you are going to "store" Perma Gloss for years put the bottle in the refrigerator and have a supply of spare tops -

Each time you open the bottle "moisture" enters -

The next thing that will appear on the Fourm is the nitrogen purge before closing the bottle - why go to all the trouble when the can is the most effective way to dispense the product long term.

See photo link: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 11:22AM

My kingdom for a can.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 02:36PM

My kingdom for clean threads ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 14, 2009 03:24PM

Wow, once again it seems that you all have come through for me. Last night during the post I started to consider a paint can, but I never would have thought to put a screw hole in the bottom. And thank you Bill for including a picture, because as simple as the idea is, the picture really took all doubt away. Thanks again everyone, I will now be a man of the can. lol
James

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 05:11PM

What will happen if you store it in the freezer? You can guess why I ask... E...

Posted by: Erick Krotzer (---.dsl1.mnd.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 06:25PM

I use a product called Bloxygen in my spar urethane. It is a dry inert gas that is heavier than air, so it displaces any air or humidity in the can. It can be obtained from rockler or a similar wood working supplier. It comes in an areosol can with a snorkel so you can spray it in there with the lid just barely open.

If I am not mistaken, spar and PG are a similar product.?

Erick Krotzer- Milaca, MN

Date: September 14, 2009 07:48PM

Surprise surprise, trouble in paradise. I went and got a can. Poked a hole in the can near the bottom and then threaded a screw into it. I can't get it to quit leaking out, even though it is leaking slow. I have tried 3 different size and thread type screws in the hole with the same results. I am beginning to think that maybe I should have put some electrical tape behind the screw or something, but I don't know if the permagloss will eat it away. Please help. Also, the can is about half empty, that seems like a lot of air, will that cause any trouble. If so, I will have to take Erick's advice and go find some of this bloxygen, but first and foremost is figuring out this damn screw hole problem. I need help ASAP.
James

Posted by: Erick Krotzer (---.dsl1.mnd.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:10PM

Tip the can away from the hole and seal it with a gob of 5 min epoxy. When the epoxy has cured, rethread the screw into the hole. I'd bet the epoxy will form a seal around the screw threads.

Date: September 14, 2009 08:18PM

Spectacular Erick, I will get right on that, thank you.
James

Date: September 14, 2009 09:23PM

Ok, it works like a dream. Now this may seem like a stupid question, but I am assuming that this can works by taking the screw out and draining whatever amount of the permagloss that I need from the hole with the top on and then put the screw back in?
James

Date: September 14, 2009 10:15PM

When you punch a hole in the can, you need to use a larger screw eye than the hole you punched. The can will leak for just little bit and then the leaking PG will gel and seal things up. It will never again leak after that.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2009 08:14PM

Remove the screw to pour some PG. Use care as the pressure in the can can cause it to come out a little fast at first. Remove the screw over the vessel that you are going to pour it into. I have a can that had 2 large bottles poured in it over two years ago and it still is in good shape. I use it a lot to coat Spro bucktails after I paint them so the screw is out of the can often. The PG leaking out will seal it self in time.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 15, 2009 09:03PM

The rate of Perma Gloss that comes out the hole is affected by the vapor pressure in the can created by the solvent phase. The vapor pressure can be reduced by slightly cooling the can before removing the screw. Cool water, ice or outside if you shop is heated and the weather is cool. When the can nears empty the effect of vapor pressue is greater due the the larger volume of gas above the liquid.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster