I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting a blank
Posted by: stan speed (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 11:10PM

I have a customer whom wants a rod built from a G Loomis blank for a girl. She wants it purple with silver glitter. Any suggestions on how to prep blank, type of paint, and sealer? Can I use a airbrush painter and mix glitter in paint in first coat, lightly sand it, and apply a second coat of paint, them sealer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting a blank
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 09, 2009 11:32PM

I would ... lightly abrade with gray Scotchbrite, apply a light coat or two of paint, apply a final light coat of paint WITH glitter, apply a light coat of clear coat followed by a second light coat of clear coat.

Paint should have flex additive ... Krylon for Plastic, PlastiCote OR an automotive paint with additive (bumper paint for example).
Clear coat ... I like Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss.

I further suggest the following: Build yourself a "paint booth" out of a cardboard box. Rotate using a Pac Bay or similar dryer. Spray WHILE rotating and allow to dry for an hour between paint coats, 1/2 day between last coat of paint and first coat of clear coat, an hour between clear coat applications and 3 days before starting the build.

The same system can be used for reel seats and other items. Although I have enjoyed using blanks painted professionally in an autobody shop, I have obtained similar results on my own using the method outlined. IMO, the key is not applying too much paint or clear coat in a single application.

Jim -

Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 11:47PM

I bought some U-40 Perma Gloss and added some pur blue pigment
put it on the blank and let dry. Purma gloss is flexable to where it wont crack
and has a nice pretty shine to it. You can get the pigment at a art store. I think
Mud Hole Carries the Perma Gloss.
Glen

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: September 10, 2009 03:58AM

I would use automotive, touch up spray cans.

There are literally thousands of colours available and you can have pearl or glitter added as you wish.

Be sure to ask for the added plasticiser, so the paint will handle the constant flex of the rod.

Between 3 and 5 coats, lightly applied may be required.

A very light wet and dry sand with the finest paper you have and then apply the automotive clear coat.

This is a great long lasting result. The downside is , it is all a bit expensive.

But I have found 1 can of colour can do up to 5 rods, depending on there size.

Hope this helps. I love colouring rods.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: September 10, 2009 07:00AM

I use Testors spray paint. It is intended for plastic models. Comes in lots of colors. I get it at my local hobby shop. Cost is about $5 per small can. Could probably do 2 to 3 rods out of it.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 12:15PM

OK, let me weigh in here.
I just built a similar rod for my 6 year old daughter...it can be found here [www.rodbuilding.org].

I used a G. Loomis blank, and lightly abraded it with a Scotchbrite pad. Then I wiped the blank down with lacquer thinner.

Next step: spray the blank WHITE. White allows the final color (in this case pink or purple) to not have to compete with and cover a dark gray or black background. I use a Krylon flat white. Flat allows the next coat to adhere completely. Once the white is dry, I use Rustoleum Satin Lilac for purple...they have a "berry" color for pink. I hold the blank by the butt (it will be covered with grip anyway) and spray with long strokes frpm about 14-18" away, rotating as I go.

I painted my daughter's rod pink first, then feathered in purple at the butt end and the tip.

Once everything is dry, you have a few choices. If you are using glitter, I suggest you use a 2 part epoxy finish. Mix the glitter directly into the finish. If you have a craft store like a Michael's close by, they sell micro glitter in lots of colors. I bought a sampler of Sulky brand for about $7...it contains 8 or so different colors of micro glitter (very fine glitter). When the first coat is dry, you can either apply a 2nd coat to the blank or spray it with automotive clear coat or a urethane.

I have painted blanks like this for years,and have never had a problem with cracking or crazing of the color.

My daughter loves the sparkles and the pink and purple color. She calls it her Fairy Princess wand.

Posted by: Rogerio de Paula (---.cpe.vivax.com.br)
Date: September 11, 2009 10:13AM

Jim,

I did some testing with both regular poliester base car paints (metallic) and PU clear coat on very flexible scrap rods and didn't see reason to use flex additive. After severe "flexing stress testing" the painting looks perfect no waves, no cracking.
Could you help me to understand why?

Regards,

Rogerio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster