I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ERN
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: July 30, 2009 12:26AM

What would the ERN be for 326 cents?

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ERN
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 01:01AM

Are you serious? 326 cents on a fly rod?

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.mghl.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 30, 2009 02:15AM

Walt

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 07:21AM

Man, you have to use pennies. You can't wad dollars up in the little baggie and call it a hunerd!!!!

Joking.

Seriously though, What are you building on that was that stiff? Wow.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2009 07:45AM

ERN is a relative power rating. It's not just for fly rods.

It would be about 27. Walt is probably right on the money.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 07:49AM

Cody that is so funny! If it's for a fly rod I'm sure its a tuna or marlin stick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 07:50AM by Lane Pelissier.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 30, 2009 09:26AM

Bass rod. My best selling one at that.

No using pennies - one ounce weights, get total weight and figure out the conversion to cents. I was close to pulling out the wife's little treadmill weights.

Walt - thanks. Is there a way I can convert this myself as I'm going to have a good many that are past the posted data I've been able find (including the chart in the URRS article).

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 30, 2009 09:26AM

Alex - you must be checking your bass rods. I had some big washers at work that weighed exactly 40 cents so I have been using several of those and then adding pennies to fine tune.

Note: We must have posted at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 09:27AM by Chuck Mills.

Date: July 30, 2009 09:49AM

Chuck - used 1 oz bank sinkers, cents to fine tune. The fun part is not having that much weight slide off the end of the rod.

Maybe Lynn Williams can come up with a Cents measurement tool that doesn't mar the blank but can hold up to a 1.5# or so without sliding off. I'd probably buy one.

Quite a few of my bass rods are going to have pretty high ERNs...

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 10:01AM

Castaway Big Show 2 = 1 Gallon Cleaned Tin Galvanized Syrup Bucket at 0.745 % Full of Pennnies

Now counting pennies will request on board translation to ERN after Sensitivity and Hook Set Test

Will need source for paper tubes to deposit pennies into bank account when completed.

I wonder if Dr. Hanneman was prepared for his impact on the economic crisis due to hoarding this denomination of coins by rodbuilders?

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 10:28AM

What is the formula to convert cents to ERN? I'm sure it's in the CCS articles somewhere....just don't see it.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.an3.den10.da.uu.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 11:13AM

Scott,
It's not a straight conversion due to the fact that when the line specification were originated, they did not make the intervals equal.
Blame them, not the CCS.

Date: July 30, 2009 12:15PM

Then what is the solution to calculate anything over 303.5? I think this is why I stopped trying to use it a while back is because every time I tried I had to ask someone what the ERN was. The URRS article helped out by expanding, but I need more data to use this effectively as the table is blank past that point. (Unless I missed something)

Please don't take that as fussing - it's just a fact which hampers me personally using the URRS or CCS.

Tournament bass guys love rods with light tips but loads of backbone to skate fish. Quite a few of the rods I build are well over that 303.5 mark.

-----------------
AD

Date: July 30, 2009 12:30PM

You're obviously not working with the equation of ERN = ELN for line matching so you can do your own thing here (until an expanded chart becomes available). Several builders I know are not using ERN directly, but are simply using the number of cents as a relative measure for power. If you have one rod that is a "300 cent rod" and another that is a "350 cent rod" the 350 cent rod is the more powerful.

This won't help you compare against other builders or manufacturers using ERN but it will allow you to continue working in house to make your own comparisons.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 12:43PM

Alex,
There are others of us that are in the same boat. It’d be nice to have a chart or formula that converts Cents to ERN so that we can take advantage of other aspects of the Common Cents System.

Date: July 30, 2009 01:27PM

Tom,
Wouldnt you say that 'doing your own thing' in regards to how we are determining ERN would undermine the efforts to effectively share CCS data? I think if the ultimate goal is to allow us to compare blanks to others in ALL ranges of ERN we need a clearly defined method for determining ERN at all ranges of the spectrum.

Bill, I know I need to re-read the article, I am sure you mention it, but why wouldnt the conversion of cents to ERN be a strait conversion. Forgive me, but it seems that anything but a strait conversion would be an effort to force numbers into those subjective line class ratings. Again, I am sure I am missing something.....just curious.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Date: July 30, 2009 02:04PM

Scott,

That is exactly what I said in my previous post - "This won't help you compare against other builders or manufacturers using ERN but it will allow you to continue working in house to make your own comparisons. "

Scott,

The CCS does not deal with line class ratings - those mean little to nothing.

The original use of the ERN figure was to allow fly fishermen, who did not have casting lure weight ratings given by the manufacturers in the same way that casting and spinning rods had always had, a means to convert power to casting weight at a specific distance. Both the ERN and number of cents are entirely relative in nature and can used interchangeably unless you are working with the equation for fly line weights. In that instance you definitely need the ERN. (I do know some fly rod builders who only use cents and never ERN.)

I doubt anyone working with the rods being mentioned here are converting to fly line weights. So until the chart is expanded, you can still do what you need to do and even share that information if you want to.

Date: July 30, 2009 02:17PM

OK, so why is it not a direct conversion of cents to ERN? What was the goal of changing 51 cents to 6.49?

I guess my point is that if CCS is going to be adopted by a broad range of builders/manufacturers their should be a clearly defind method for converting cents to ERN. I get what you are saying....I can measure them anyway I want and compare against my own other measurements....but, unless all other builders are using the same unit of measurement my results will mean nothing compared to theirs. You mentioned the use of cents instead of ERN.....probably a good idea for those blanks that go above the 303.5 mark.

Any idea how Northfork Composites is going to determine ERN for their blanks over that mark?

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Date: July 30, 2009 03:31PM

All builders are using the same unit of measurement - the post 1996 U.S. cent.

ERN = ELN at average distances for average fishermen. Line numbers run from 2 to 12 for the most part so "51" isn't a direct correlation to any of the line numbers. Thus, cents were converted to figures that could be correlated to line numbers. It isn't necessary to do this because ERN and Cents are interchangeable. A rod with an ERN of 10.7 and a rod that requires 70 cents to get the required deflection, are the same thing. But if your goal is match an AFTMA line number to the rod power, you'll need ERN. If your goal is simply to measure relative power, you can use either.

North Fork will no doubt have Dr. Hanneman expand his current ERN chart, unless they decide to simply use number of cents.

Date: July 30, 2009 03:32PM

Scott -

I think you can use anything to get to the weight and then convert, which is baasically what I did. I have found another issue as a result of lacking data. The 27 ERN this rod of mine has - there is a 21 and a 28 on the table. Well, then I can't really use that ERN because I can predict the set ranges for lures or see the true result on the intrinsic power. All I am left with is "I took 10 sinkers to fully load this rod." Frankly at that point that's about the same thing I can find out flexing the rod in against the carpet - although it does give me some more specific detail.

All -

In studying the URRS closer, I'm a little confused on a few items.
How do you measure PR?
How does intrinsic power factor into fish fighting and why is it important? (in the CCS - IP helped determine the fly line weight to load the blank. That's not the case with casting rods, so why is that measure still relevant? maybe I am confused here?)
In measuring TP - How do you determine the minimum value? Where do you begin with the tip measurements?

-----------------
AD

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster