I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Alignment Help
Posted by: Jeff Mountain (65.116.194.---)
Date: December 06, 2002 09:23AM

Could you all please give me as to the proper way to align the guides on a blank? I have been eye-balling them up to this point, but I find it to be extremely difficult. Is there some sort of jig that is available or somthing that I could build to aid me in this most important, yet tremendously frustrating, aspect of rod building? Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Alignment Help
Posted by: Dave Joseph (---.dialne.bright.net)
Date: December 06, 2002 10:06AM

Jeff, My opinion is you are doing it the best way. I have tied a lot of tricks but alway return to the "eye" method. I use a light colored wall as the background that has even lighting on it. I then hold the rod out in front of me with the guides away from me and the rod at about a 45 degree angle. I then line up the first guide closest to the grip with the tip top using the blank to center the guides. The other guides are then tweaked to line up with the first giude and the tip top. After doing it this way turn the rod so the guides are toward you and re-check your work. I really believe this method is the best way and accomodates guide alignment on bent or twisted blanks very nicely.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 10:33AM

Jeff, I don't know how you are sighting to aline your guides but I find by holding the rod with the guides away as Jeff says makes it much easier for me. In that position I am looking at the rod first and then adjusting guides so the visible portions appear to protrude equally to the left and right of the rod. If you try to aline by sighting through the guides any slight deflection in the rod will cause you problems.

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: December 06, 2002 10:41AM

Looking at the Renzetti Lazer Alignment tool made me think of something else. Wouldn't the old carpenters chalk line do the same thing. Both methods will give you problems if you don't have a perfectly straight blank. I also eyeball my guides. Even if you had a perfect line down the blank by laser or chalkline, you would still have to eyeball because all the guides aren''t stamped exactly perfect. There is some variance in the guide feet that would still make you have to adjust by eye. What do you think????

Ray

Posted by: Mark Wendt (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: December 06, 2002 10:49AM

Heh, heh... Build bamboo... Makes guide alignment real easy!

Mark

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 12:39PM

Eye-balling the alignment is the best tried and true method. Your eyes can take all the variances affecting alignment into account that no tool can. It takes a conscious effort and a good amount of patience. I literally force myself to slow things down when I get to the point of aligning guides. My vision has gotten worse over the last five years so slowing the process down has become more accute to building my rods correctly. I know I haven't given you any real tricks to guide alignment. I do hope I managed to give you or anyone some insight to the process. I've adopted the woodworking rule "measure once, cut twice" to my rod building process. I don't think anything brings it home better. Good luck.

Posted by: adam brown (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 01:17PM

one thing that helps me check and recheck is spinning the rod 180 degrees. Many of the guides protrude beyond the blank sillohette and makes it easy to double check the alignment and the second opinion can confirm or negate a guide that is borderline. It doesnt work as well with snakes but rings work great. Plus it breaks up the monotony.

Posted by: Herb Haekel (---.reid-crowther.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 02:16PM

I use brightly colored string as well as "the eyeball method". I have found that for myself the eyeball method works best when I have the guides on the underside of the blank and then sighting down the blank.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 07:26PM

Jeff,

Just eyeball it.

First, as was previously stated, your eyes will automatically adjust to both the taper and the imperfections in the blank.

Second, it's just a fishing rod, and guide alignment isn't all that critical from a performance standpoint. Close is fine.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Terry Miller (---.NORFOLK.NIPR.MIL)
Date: December 06, 2002 08:16PM

The string works very well for the initial line up of the guides. Then after you have them secured with tape us the eye ball method for the minor adjustments.

Posted by: Jim Fanning (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 10:19PM

I would only add that for me the eyeballin' is best done in good natural light, preferably outdoors.

Posted by: Bill Boettcher (---.157.76.108.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 07, 2002 02:24AM

I start with the tip top gluided in place. Then one guide at a time. Look through the secount towards the tip, and so one, then with guides down, let the blank cut the guide in half. Good light is always a plus

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: December 07, 2002 07:02AM

Hold on! Don't you mean "measure twice, cut once"? I would hate to have to cut twice in this case!

Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 07, 2002 11:43AM

I've found that it's important to have the guides wrapped first before I make my final alignment simply because your guides can shift when you wrap them. I don't spend alot of time aligning the guides before hand. Once wrapped I'll align the guides by sighting down the blank. One important item to mention is that it's just as important to ensure the guides rings are perpendicular to the blank after you've aligned them, or should I say the guide feet sit straight on the blank. It's an easy thing to adjust the guide side to side but if your not careful only one side of the guide will move and it is very easy to overlook. You can align the guides and have them perfectly aligned and then findout that some guides are crooked. Sighting down the blank only will not always identify crooked guides. Once you've made your adjustments look straight down at the top of each guide, and you'll see what I mean. This is particularily troublesome with single foot guides. Hope that helps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster