I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gary Loomis
Posted by: Chris Carrigan (---.dsl.lgtpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 15, 2009 09:54PM

Anyone heard anything about G. Loomis going over and working with Temple Fork Outfitters.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gary Loomis
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2009 10:31PM

Yes, the anouncement was made last Friday. It was reported in Midcurrent Monday.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 12:12AM

Yes he is. Lefty will still have the fly rods and Garry all the other rods. He also still has North Fork Composites going.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 02:56AM

When will we see his blanks on the market and does anyone have an address and phone number/

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 16, 2009 08:18AM

Gary is just doing a little consulting work for TFO. He is not going to be part of the normal operations there any more than Lefty Krey is.

North Fork Composites is being launched at the ICast show this week. I have already viewed their pre-production catalog and there will be a lot of very happy rod builders shortly.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: July 16, 2009 08:36AM

Lending ones name to a product line and working for them are two different things. I would guess the former?

Date: July 16, 2009 09:21AM

Pretty much, yes. Gary isn't going to "work" for TFO. He'll advise them on some things and be paid for lending his name.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: July 16, 2009 11:20AM

Any insight on the new offerings from Northfork?

Date: July 16, 2009 02:32PM

I was asked not to divulge too much. For now think G.Loomis circa 1995. The days prior to selling to Shimano.

About 150 models of fly, casting, spinning, trout/panfish, spin bass, spin jig, hot shot, popping, light saltwater, etc. 3 or 4 varieties of graphite, no paint, no clear coat, just raw, naked carbon. Focus is strictly on performance, not cosmetics. They will not be offering finished rods so custom builders have a real opportunity here among anglers who want a rod built on a blank made by Gary and Brad Loomis.

Their catalog and website will be available to the public shortly and you can learn more about what they’re doing. You can also meet them in person at the upcoming ICRBE in February.

Posted by: Brad Kemis (---.fw2.onvoy.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 04:23PM

I've been following ICAST and haven't seen anything mentioning North Fork. Has anyone read any reports? I would assume all of the exhibitors have introduced their products by now since the show closes tomorrow.

Date: July 16, 2009 05:26PM

Gary and Jon are there and have been in meetings all week with prospective dealers.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 16, 2009 05:54PM

Quick question: Does TFO actually manufacture their blanks or are they all OEMs

Mo

Date: July 16, 2009 06:03PM

As far as I know, they source them from an overseas supplier which they have control over. They have them made to their specs, however, so these aren't something you can buy elsewhere.

TFO will not be using blanks made by North Fork (Loomis). Gary is simply lending a hand in the design and outfitting of the TFO rods just as Lefty has done with their fly rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2009 10:31PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 08:42PM

My supplier says as soon as Icast is over contact your supplier about North Fork Blanks. Until then NO one is talking

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 09:42PM

Thanks for the info. Please keep us posted as you can, Tom. This is about the best source on what is going on. I had missed this thread, since I was on vacation last week! Glad i saw it.
Kyle Robinson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster