I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wine cork butt caps?????
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt2.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: September 28, 2001 02:34AM

Is it OK to make a butt cap from a wine bottle cork? Just curious as I have a father in law who would supply plenty of cork stoppers for the cause ;) I just cant seem to find cork butts anywhere , maybe I am not looking hard enough.
Mark Schulte

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wine cork butt caps?????
Posted by: Capt. Harold (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: September 28, 2001 03:32AM

Read my entry below ("My butt caps".) I mold them by making a form of masking tape around the end of the grip like a cup. About one half inch deep. Mix some cork dust in a five minute epoxy and pour into mold while holding rod verticle with tip down. I make a plug of paper wad down about half inch into the drill hole so it don't run down into the blank butt too deep. Let stand for awhile and sand to suit. I sand with course grit at first with a hand sander to shape then follow up with smoother stuff. You can even add a dye to the mix before pouring for various shades. I get my dye from a marine supply house. It's the kind that's in a tube for coloring boat gel coat.

By the way I grind the grip butt down flat before I do this. It makes a better surface to bond the butt cap to. Make sure you let the epoxy run down into the drill hole about half an inch.

I hate ugly black rubber or plastic butt caps.

Capt. Harold

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: September 28, 2001 08:55AM

Angler's Workshop carries rubberized cork rings for this exact purpose. They work great. Other vendors have had them at times, but it is hit and miss. Angler's has had them every time I have needed them. They come without a hole bored. I take a drill bit the size of the blank butt and bore about 1/2 way through, and to make sure a snug fit against the last cork ring. For $0.65 each, it is worth not making my own.

Posted by: Ed (---.citicorp.com)
Date: September 28, 2001 12:31PM

I have actually made a "minnow" rod with wine cork rear grip with regular wine corks and the butt cap from a champagne cork (cause it is similar to the Fuji BRC butt cap)! You will need to shave a little cork off the side that contacts the wine to ensure good gluing surface. Good for a chuckle, have fun!

Posted by: chris-flying fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: October 05, 2001 09:43PM

I've done it. It'll work, an option you can use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster