I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat brushes, safe to use with PG?
Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: June 26, 2009 07:26PM

I need to get some small, round brushes for use on very small and delicate wraps which I intend to coat with Permagloss. Before I buy a bulk package of the Flex Coat variety, I want to confirm that the hot solvent in PG will not eat the plastic bristles these brushes employ. Any comments from personal experience would be much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat brushes, safe to use with PG?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 26, 2009 09:02PM

I use them with PG. At least I think they are Flex Coat. No problem. Use the Trondak brush cleaner to clean the PG so you can reuse the brush.

Mo

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: June 26, 2009 09:46PM

Thank you.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 26, 2009 09:48PM

I use Flex Coat brushes and trash after one use.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: June 26, 2009 10:34PM

I buy packages of some cheap muticolored brushes they sell at hobby lobby. They work just fine for PG and all other finish...I also toss them after use.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 27, 2009 12:42AM

Guys who toss them after one use, do you use the same brush for multiple coats of PG. I have to do so many coats of PG that I normally do the coating over multiple days just because I'm not full time there attending to the PG. Are you tossing one brush after each coating? I used to do that until I tried the brush cleaner and it works to a degree.

Mo

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 27, 2009 01:47AM

Backlash Tools sells a tiny round brush for applying finish to micros.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: June 27, 2009 10:59AM

You can also clean them with Med-Temperature Lacquer thinner from Home depot.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2009 11:36AM

Mo, I usually will clean the brush in alcohol between coats and then toss it at the end of the rod...more likely I'll toss it when I forget to clean it and the PG sets up on it though :-).

That's why I went to cheap brushes in the first place, I am terrible about cleaning them.

BTW, you don't need a micro brush for micro guides...I use the same brushe's I get at hobby lobby...they look just like the flexcoat brushes and there is like 60 for $3.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2009 01:12PM

Barry,
I found a source where I only pay 3 cents a brush.
I toss them after each batch of finish has set.

I generally leave the brush laying on the top of the mixing dish that I use to mix the finish and use it as a test to verify that the finish has cured.

Then, I toss the brush and plastic mixing cup when it has set.

I used to buy more expensive brushes but found that in addition to the expense of the brush and the time and effort cleaning, that I would end up losing bristles in the finish as a result of the bristles getting weak due to the cleaning.

So, no more expense, no more cleaning and no more bristles in the finish.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 27, 2009 03:50PM

Mo not exactly a brush per coat - I will use two brushes per batch of rods with four coats when coating guide wraps.

I use for multiple coats of Perma Gloss - three to be exact - within three hours - all out of the same holding dish using the same Flex Coat blue brush without cleaning .

Take a look at the tall shot glass on top of the can in the picture. Perma Gloss will stay in this container for about two and one half hours in my hot and humid shop and still be usable - the thickening in the glass helps with second and third coats. You will need to learn time intervals based on your shop conditions to stagger the coats so that escaping bubbles have time to get out before the next application.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I leave the brush sticking submerged in Perma Gloss, in the tall glass, until I get through with the first phase of the finish which is can be up to three hours. After these three I wait for about three days to put one more flow coat on top which I allow to thicken for 30 minutes hour before application Using this method allows to build thickness with Perma Gloss quite quickly.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2009 02:20AM

I like to use a 2", 3" or 4" sash brush when I'm painting the trim on either the inside or outside of my house. I use preval sprayers to prime the parts I make for repairs at work, but to answer your question, Yes, by all means use the Flex Coat brushes to paint your small and delicate wraps. I can't think of any brush that you couldn't use with PG. You can use foam brush material with PG, and if that won't disolve, not many materials will. Any craft brush at any craft store will work fine for your application so look for the size and shape to do the job and let the price be your'e guide. Later.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 06, 2009 01:22PM

I buy the kids craft pack from Wal-Mart, 50 brushes for $2.00 and some change. I use them once and in the trash they go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster