I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

deck hand rod
Posted by: Scotty Raebel (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 09:09PM

Hello everyone, looking for some info on how to tie a tuna cord wrap for a fore grip, basically on the starts and stops, also do you need cork tape under the wrap and do you put any kind of sealer or something on the wrap or just leave it alone. Thanks scotty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: deck hand rod
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 02:30AM

There are a lot of ways to do it and i'm sure you'll hear a few here.

I wrap them just like wrapping a guide as far as starts/stops go, except I only wrap over and pull thru (to start & stop) 2-3 turns of cord VS 4-5 turns of thread on a guide. Just make sure that you have plenty of tension on the cord. After I trim the tags, I put a drop of CA (Super Glue) on them right after trimming and before burnishing/smoothing the ends. I also put a couple of beads/ribbons of CA on the blank about an inch ahead of where I'm wrapping (then wrap right over it) to prevent the cord from slipping.

You don't NEED cork tape under it, but you can. lots of people do to increase the grip's diameter.

Finish/Sealer all depends on the kind of cord that you use. Cord like Polyester or tarred twine that doesn't absorb water can be left un-coated. Cotton and other cords that WILL absorb water should be coated. i've used a light coat of regular rod finish with good results. Others use marine spar varnish.

If you happen to be "Out West", there's a Cord Grip & Turkshead seminar at the Custom Rod Show in Costa Mesa a week from Saturday (5/2). [www.westcoastcustomrodshow.com]

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Scotty Raebel (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 10:30PM

Thats the info I needed mark, thanks, going to use that new cord you sell, the reason I guessed for the cork under the cord would be to help make up the difference in Dia between the blank and reel seat if I have a large gap?. Scotty.

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: April 26, 2009 06:22AM

Scott I wrap a lot of Tuna cord grips and I like using the braided seine cord sold at most commercial marine hardware stores. The stuff is actually for net mending and comes in quite a few different sizes, I prefer the smaller (#32) diameters as on the larger butts it really fattens up the handle.

I use U40 rod bond epoxy to stick them on but I first fit the cord dry just to make sure I have every thing looking the way I want it. Often times I'll use the hard green Halibut leader cord and the black seine cord which gives a color contrast and a non slip texture.

To actually apply I take a bodkin and fray out the end of the cord and just over wrap the cord on it's self just like we do with thread. This cuts down on a lump always start from the tip end and work your way back, twist and pack the wraps so you don't get unsightly gaps and finish off with a 5x8 by three runs Turks head.

I never have used any sort of topcoat finish on the wraps and have never had a problem with them, once the U40 sets up that's pretty much it. As for the butt end I'll generally secure the bitter end with 8-10 wraps of black E nylon and since by this time there's sure to be some U40 smeared around I coat the thread with that. Have some rags around and plenty of alcohol.

I have an old Sabre 870H I did around 20 years ago like this and other than the grip getting a little bit of silver gray salty look it's just as tight as the day I made it.

The only down side of real black seine cord is that the black stuff is a tar and it can rub off a little on your hands but this is an east fix... When the wifezilla isn't looking I run my cord on an open wheel I made with some lath and just run it through the dishwasher on the pot cycle, the heavy duty soap and extra hot water cure that problem right away, let the stuff dry out a few days before using it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster