I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone Veneer Tutorials !
Posted by: Tom Loucks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 20, 2009 10:07PM

Gentlemen:

I am very impressed by the colors and the looks of the Aqua Blue Maui abalone veneers.
That will be my next rod builds and I am wondering if there are any tutorials or instructions for the application.
These will be for salt water rods.
Thank you for any info. or input you may have.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone Veneer Tutorials !
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 10:16PM

Tom,
Check out my site. www.anglersenvy.com.

I have the veneer and also the DVD tutorial.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin Knox

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: April 20, 2009 10:19PM

Easy answer RodMaker Magazine Volume 11 Issue 5. If you don't have a subscription, run don't walk to [www.rodmakermagazine.com]. The best investment in rodbuilding you'll ever make. Kevin Knox, the inspiration for abalone on rods, also made a DVD. His web site is [www.anglersenvy.com].

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2009 07:12AM

Right, it's in the magazine and on Kevin's DVD. Kevin has outlined the process very thoroughly.

Or you can hunt and peck and try to do it with free internet information. But remember that information is usually worth just about what you pay for it.

Posted by: John Chamorro (---.178.44.129.PAT-CA.netvelocite.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 09:42AM

Tom,
I just finished and AB wrap. Your right on track going to Aqua Blue. They sell the veneers for about 1/2 the price of anyone else. You can gather all the info you need on line for application of the veneer. Email me direct if you want any other info regarding the process or information I used.

John

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.177.232.194.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 01:18PM

In regards to abalone installation of rods, we think people have to understand the saying "there is more than one way to skin a cat" OR in this case 'there is more than one way to install abalone on rods". People were using Abalone on rods for years before the recent article and DVD come out.

The article in rod Maker Magazine and the DVD produced by Kevin Knox use a vinegar soaking method of installing abalone on rods. For this method to work, you have to use abalone sold by Aqua Blue or Kevin (specifically the thickness of the abalone is important as you are partial dissolving the abalone (calcium) – to thin of an abalone may become too weak to apply after soaking).

Mud Hole has put together some great instructions on the “crack and roll method” of abalone installation and we also offer the raw abalone for this method. Follow the link below:
[www.mudhole.com]

The crack and roll method follows the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid - the crack and roll method is a simple, straight forward process that produces acceptable results. From start to finish the crack and roll method can be done in 10 minutes. The vinegar method soaking method takes 2 to 3 hours. Now if you call Aqua Blue – they may tell us to use a third method – “the boiling method” – done by boiling the abalone in water to soften it. We are sure there are other methods as well – all these methods work, however the certain abalone materials work better on each method.

The abalone sold by Aqua Blue is not suitable for the crack and roll method because it has a finish applied to one side of the abalone – this same finish gives is a very clear & sharp looking appearance. However, this extra finish does not allow the abalone to be used with the “crack and roll” method (it causes the cracks to be to large). This beautiful “out of the box” appearance of the Aqua Blue abalone caused by a top coat of finish will not mater on a fishing rod, because you are going to coat the applied abalone with rod finish after the abalone is installed. Once coated with rod finish, all abalone will add greatly to your rod.

Like many facets of rod building, we would encourage people to try different methods and see which one suits your rod building style.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 02:31PM

"The abalone sold by Aqua Blue is not suitable for the crack and roll method because it has a finish applied to one side of the abalone – this same finish gives is a very clear & sharp looking appearance. However, this extra finish does not allow the abalone to be used with the “crack and roll” method (it causes the cracks to be to large)."

Just to clarify, you are not talking apples and apples. The thin lam laminated veneer has lamination on the front and back. The raw veneer is unlaminated and will work just fine for shell fracturing.

It IS suitable for fracturing, which is the method that has been around for a long time and when you compare 5 1/4" x9" or 47.25 sq inches to 2 1/2" x 4 11/16" or 11.71 square inches, there is quite a difference.

And regarding the 10 minute application, when did this become a race? Last time I checked, the goal of rodbuilding was to make a better, more beautiful rod, not rushing just to get through it.

Regarding the soak, I talked to you all about this. The other brand of veneer has a concentration of about 50% shell and 50% filler. The filler falls apart when you soak it, leaving open areas that are the size of a quarter. Grade C veneer at best. Aqua Blue veneer is grade A with 95-98% coverage in shell. Thus the difference in soaking performance. They have grade B veneer but I don't think that is what builders are after. They do not cary the grade C veneer for the aforementioned reason.

Boiling has been incorporated into my method to make the lamination more pliable, it won't do much of anything when done alone. As for the keep it simple stupid idea, rod builders are not stupid or in a hurry, but if they are in a hurry, then fracturing will work just fine.
I don't think that builders are after acceptable results. They are after exceptional results.

Im not trying to start anything, but I just wanted to explain the difference in the veneer and address the comments on the performance of the shell.
Kevin

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 03:17PM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 09:53AM

I have ordered Kevin's DVD and the instruction and quality are exactly what I was looking for. I've yet to install it, but I'm sure the first time I do the results will be more than acceptable ;)

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 22, 2009 03:26PM

Different methods, different materials! Both work in their own way and have their place!!!!!!!
Hopefully, this won't extend in to Round 2!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster