I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom rod wrapping jigs
Posted by: Jonathan Ghazal (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: April 03, 2009 07:35PM

I am interested in selling the rod wrapping jigs that I make, but I don't know how to go about it. I have talked to the local rod building supply shop, and they will let me put up a flyer, but that is it. The jigs I build work great, but they do no look like the other ones out there. I build them out of oak and other nice materials. They are nothing like the metal and plastic that you see in catalogs. If you have any suggestions, they will all be appreciated. I will try to post a pic of the one I have soon. Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom rod wrapping jigs
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2009 08:22PM

Here's the first thing you're going to have to do - buy advertising. There is a cost associated with doing business and free mentions of your product, such as you just did here, aren't fair to those footing your advertising bill nor to others who are paying to advertise their similar product (Clyde Alho, from the Rod Shop with his Eco Wrapper for example).

This is the biggest impediment to so many who want to get into business selling their wares - they won't invest in their product's promotion. If you really believe in what you're making and want to sell it, spend the money to put it in front of a good number of people. There are no shortcuts. It is going to cost you money to promote, advertise and sell it. You might as well face that fact.

Here are some ideas for you - direct mail, still the best way to sell about anything. Consult a mailing list company and buy a list comprised of folks who fish or engage in rod building or lure building. Print up some cards and spend the money to distribute them to a good list. Take a few trips and visit some rod building component supply companies. Show them what you've got and perhaps they'll take it on. The burden for creating the demand for your product, of course, remains on you. It's not the dealer's job to push or promote your product, that remains your job.

The bottom line is, do you believe in your product enough to invest in promoting it?

Posted by: Ben Lee (159.83.196.---)
Date: April 03, 2009 09:04PM

Hi Tom,

I'm very interested in Clyde's Eco Wrapper. Would you happen to know the Rod Shop website address ?

Best Regard :)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 03, 2009 09:12PM

Ben,

It's THE ROD SHOP the link is on the left

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 03, 2009 09:15PM

Jonathon,

If I were you, I would get a web site first! That immediately gives you "legitamcy" in the publics mind, That can be done inexpensively, even free. )Most ISP's provide free web space for there customers) I would then take out a sponsoeship on this site where it will seen by tons of builders

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 03, 2009 09:23PM

My hat off to Clyde's Eco Wrapper !.

My mission is not to promote my toy but to provides inventor with "Progress". Yes my next mission would be to automate the wrapping progress. If Clyde or anyone else wishes to team up with me on this development, I would be honor.

Best Regard to the Community.

Date: April 03, 2009 09:37PM

Mike,

I'm still a newbie on this website. How do I become a sponsor ?

Best Wishes

Date: April 03, 2009 09:42PM

Contact Tom Kirkman

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: April 03, 2009 09:48PM

Hi Tom,

Is there a link somewhere that I can sign up or would there be any PDFs form that you can email to me ?

Best Regard

Date: April 03, 2009 10:48PM

You might want to e-mail him

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: April 04, 2009 10:57AM

Hi Mike,

I've sent e-mails to tomkirkman@rodbuilding.org last night but it got sent back.

Wish that there were a "Click Here" button to get sign up.

Best Wishes

Date: April 04, 2009 11:01AM

Go to any post by Tom and click on his name and his e-mail address will show

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster