I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ROD ACTION
Posted by: Mike Forte (209.140.206.---)
Date: November 25, 2002 04:25PM

can anyone explain the advantage of having a fast action rod over a slow action rod. I understand the power rating and line class, lure weights etc.. buthow do you choose the right action?
Thanks
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ROD ACTION
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2002 04:40PM

For me, the light tip and stiff butt of a fast action rod allows it to cast a much wider range of lure weights fairly well. Probably best for articifical lures. The stiff butt allows a rod that will cast very light lures to still be powerful in fish fighting. A slow rod, at least for me, is pretty specific to a lure weight. But the long motion is a little easier for revolving spool reels to keep up with. And it is much "softer" for casting things like live bait.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: November 25, 2002 04:54PM

Some fishermen like the fast action rods for throwing into tight spots - feeling they can shoot the lure or bait into tight confines with quick casts when needed. Others detest them, feeling that they require too much accuracy on the part of the fisherman, with little room for error.

We often hear people recommend a slower action fly rod for beginners. Trouble is, most beginners have timing that is usually much too fast rather than too slow, and a faster action rod, in my opinion, actually makes it easier for them to learn good casting technique.

Personally, I have always felt that a fast action rod can do anything a slow action rod can, and then some. On the other hand, there are some things a slow action rod cannot do, that a fast action rod can, unless the fisherman is very skilled.

But each type will have its proponents. These are just my personal thoughts and likes in a rod.

Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.lubrizol.com)
Date: November 25, 2002 05:02PM

Mike,

Action is mostly a personal choice. I like slow action fly rods under a 6 wt. Even my heavier fly rods are moderate fast. I don't like a tip flex rod. One of my favorites is the Lamiglas 8' 5 wt 3 pc fiberglass. Incredible rod.

For bass fishing I like fast rods. I don't throw a lot of crankbaits, but I do throw a lot of top water and spinner baits. I like a fast tip for those lures.

Some guys like a really soft rod for throwing live bait. A fast action rod requires a really fast stroke to load the rod. If you do that with a nightcrawler on you'll throw him off every time.

Tom,

I totally agree with you about beginner rods. It is really tough to get most people to slow down to a particular rod. Before I taught my girlfriend to fly cast I had her cast one of my rods. When I saw how she was too fast for that action naturally, I went with a faster rod. With that rod she learned to cast tight loops in 20 minutes. I say beginner's luck....

Rick Koontz
rkoontz@andrew.cmu.edu

Date: November 25, 2002 05:13PM

I should have added that fast action rods are not necessarily stiff nor are slow action rods necessarily soft. Power is one thing, action or taper is another. I have a few slow or medium action rods that are very stiff and some fast action rods that are very soft. Remember that action is how/where the rod bends, not how much load or effort it takes to make it bend.

I was also talking about casting mostly. We have to remember that fish fighting entails something different. With that said I know some flounder guys who wouldn't be caught dead with a fast action rod and many ultra-light guys still like rods that flex fully into the handle while fighting a fish.

Like Rick said, it's really personal preference and everyone develops their favorites.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2002 10:15PM

Tom, I too used to fish for flounder with a slow to moderate action rod. However, yesterday I went wading specifically for flounder and I took my SCIII 68C rod that I recently made. This blank has an extra fast tip. The bite was slow and I only got two bites in three hours using a plastic shrimp with an 1/8 oz. jig head. I caught one 20 inch flounder. I was really worried about not being able to land this fish. There were nineteen other fisherpeople all watching. Well, as the fish was making her runs, the rod tip had enough forgiveness and allowed me to quickly bring the fish to net. I know that was only one fish, but the rod performed well and I'm very pleased at this point with it's performance.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (216.111.226.---)
Date: November 26, 2002 08:38AM

I've grown partial to fast action fly rods over the years as they let me do more things with the line. It is a matter of applying the skills you've learned but the fast action seems to give me greater flexibility to do my thing....

Except for one thing; the roll cast. I've gone back and tried some of my more moderate action rods. There is no doubt in my mind that I just can roll cast much better with a slow to moderate rod than a fast action.

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: November 26, 2002 09:02AM

One thing to consider when deciding on rod actions is when you have to switch from one rod to the other. When I go bass fishing I usually carry a minimum of 4 to 5 rods pre-rigged with the lures I think I will use for the day. If you are fishing along with a worm and the fish start breaking around you, many times you reach down quickly for a crankbait or spinnerbait to quickly catch these active fish. Nothing is more aggravating than to reach down and get another rod and it has a different (usually slower) action and try to fire off a quick cast, only to find you mistimed the cast and got a birdnest in your reel. This magnifies itself with the wind. Because of this I have went strictly to fast actions, even on my crankbaits. I just use a lower power on them. Now, at least, when I change rods, I still have the same feel for the timing of the cast. The only time I use slower actions now is for live bait. I know when I'm bait fishing, I won't be switching rods, and of course the slower action helps the wear and tear on your bait.

Ray

Posted by: Fred Krow (---.ctconnect.net)
Date: November 26, 2002 09:25AM

Roll casting with a fly rod.

Aim (complete) the cast at eye level and the fast action rod will be superior to the slow/medium action. Most FF complete the roll cast downward like chopping wood, this drives the line into the water.

The forward part of your roll cast should be identical to any forward cast, why do FF chop wood when roll casting? This is how the "writers" and books have taught for 100+ years.

Regards,
Fred Krow

Date: November 26, 2002 09:34AM

Fred's right on this - the line will go in the direction the tip of the rod goes, regardless of the rod's action. I know very few good roll casters, but the ones I've seen who are excellent at it only move through a very short casting stroke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster