I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gold foil tape
Posted by: Mark Bevans (---.epoint01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2002 04:40PM

I tied the guides and butt wrap on my rod, to dress up the wraps I added a 1/8 inch gold foil tape as a tag. It looked very nice until I applied the epoxy. The Gold tape let loose and the ends peeled back. What should I have done to keep this from happening? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gold foil tape
Posted by: Dan Craft (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 25, 2002 05:03PM

Mark,

Many of the sticky backed tapes have glues that are effected by epoxy finish. I usually try to wrap a couple of wraps of thread onto each side of the foil to help hold it down. This usually works for me. If you can't go that way, you can try using a fast drying color preserver to hold the foil in place. You can usually use a waterbased color preserver and after it's all coated, apply your regular finish and the color preserver should protect the tape from damage. Good luck,

Dan

Posted by: Mark Bevans (---.epoint01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2002 07:49PM

Thanks Dan, I try winding the thread over the edge next time.

Posted by: Pat Doyle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2002 08:57PM

Hi Mark; Instead of gold foil, why not just wrap a trim band using gold mettalic thread. There are several shades available, and I'm sure one would fit your requirements.

Just a thought.

Best regards, Pat Doyle

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 26, 2002 01:18AM

I agree with Pat a few wraps of gold thread make the rod look more professional
Bob

Posted by: Larry R. Tysinger (64.43.224.---)
Date: November 26, 2002 09:14AM

I have used all colors of tape on rods. Some foil and some vinyl like used on models. That tape comes in several colors and widths that look good on rods. I always wrap down the ends and usually make a spiral wrap across the tape with gaps and then complete the end wrap with the same thread. I really like tape in the middle of an under wrap used with a spiral cross wrap and then continue the under wrap.

I always try to get the tape seam on the bottom of the rod "out of view".

Larry Tysinger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster