I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"chevron" empty space
Posted by: Chip Sugar (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 10:23PM

Thanks to the earlier discussion on Diamonds, I finally understood Chevrons. The simple explaination by Mr. Kirkman and the advice of Mr. Adams to look at Rodbuilderstutorial.com, the light finally came on. I have several books and several tapes on rod building and wrapping, but they all skip the simple explaination of Diamonds and Chevrons and jump to the advanced shapes, objects and patterns. I have been lost until today. Thanks

Now that I have my first Chevron on the rod I did a reverse and its looks real nice. My problem now is two much space in between. If I had done an underwrap this might have been ok, but I was practicing. I have seen a silver "X" done in the center of some, but there must be something else I can do. Thanks again

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "chevron" empty space
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2009 08:31AM

The Amato book, Rod Building Guide, has a full pictorial chapter on diamonds and chevrons.

Glad you have it figured out. Now all you need to do is just keep at it and until you find the patterns and spacing that appeal to you.

Here's something else you can do - make an underwrap and put some thread inlays at intervals that will show in the center spaces between the chevrons.

Posted by: Chip Sugar (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 11:25AM

Tom
I went and looked up the book you mentioned. You failed to mention you wrote it.

Got it on order- Thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2009 11:36AM

There was a very good pictorial on how to make diamond wraps in a much older copy of the Fenwick rod blank catalog. Probably from the late 1970's or so. It was a great learning tool - still one of the best I've ever seen. I wanted to do something similar but a little more involved. I think you'll find it very easy to follow, but it sounds like you already have the basics figured out.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 03:52PM

If you don't wish to add an additional thread pattern like a diamond or box inside the open
areas between the chevrons you can continue the chevron pattern making it larger thus
reducing the open spaces. You could also add some appliques or decals like letters, fish,
stars, ect.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 07:41AM

Here's a pic of an open diamond with waterslide decals in the open spaces. Once I got the decals in place and dried I put the last few wraps on the diamonds to cover the edges of the decals.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:50AM

Jim,
That is OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 08:52PM

Thanks Mike.

Chip,
There are all kinds of possibilities for the empty spaces; an underwrap would give you a solid fill, extra offset crosswraps could compliment your main pattern, decals could be pics of your family, favorite fish, lures, etc. or you can calculate your taper offset and just keep wrapping until the empty spaces fill in. Check out "Decorative Wraps" by Billy Vivona, he's put a lifetime of learning curve into his book.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster