I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

varnishing bamboo rods
Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 01:01AM

What is the easiest, fastest, or best way to varnish a bamboo blank to get a good finish/ tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: varnishing bamboo rods
Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: March 24, 2009 01:49AM

I don't know if this is the best or the easiest or the quickest way, but it works great for me:
1) remove old varnish with a razor held at 90-120 degrees to blank; the blade points away from the direction of your strokes. Use smooth strokes. Short , choppy strokes put liitle "ticks" in the bamboo.
2) Finish with PermaGloss. For a hex, I make one pass, with a foam brush, every other "point", from tip to butt, keeping the point in the middle of the brush, applying finsih to 2 flat sides at a time, for a total of 3 passes on each section of a hex rod. If you miss some spots, touch-up quickly, but try not to make contact with the PG that is already laid down. Do not disturb for an hour or so (longer in drier climates). You should probably wait a a few days to a week before wrappping, otherwise there is a very slight, hardly noticeable tackiness or softness that makes it a little difficult to pack threads.
Obviously, I am assuming that you are re-building an old bamboo fly rod blank, since that is what I have been doing, for my past few projects
With a new or naked blank, the PG would still be a great choice; it is gin-clear, super hard (but still very flexible), and will outlive most of us.

Posted by: Robert Benton (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 06:28AM

If you want to varnish a blank its hard to beat 4 or more coats of Tru Oil. Apply with coffe filter and 0000 steel wool between coats. If you want to do an assembled rod its another story.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2009 09:35AM

Now that they've given you some easy ways to do it, I'll give you a quick run down of how most quality bamboo blanks are finished. You wrap the guides and then dip the entire rod, guides and all, into a tube containing warm, thinned varnish. The rate of removal is controlled by inches/seconds and sometimes elaborate mechanisms are utilized in this so any human error can be removed. It can take 3 or 4 "dippings" to complete the process.

Obviously this is a much more labor intensive process but it's one more method to put in your bag of rod building knowledge.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: March 24, 2009 12:01PM

And then there is the "how it's made " video on you tube that shows the guy at Thomas and Thomas using a turkey baster full of varnish to coat the rod.
I alyways use the dip tank or the drain tank method.

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 12:30PM

Thanks to all for the info, it's much appreciated.........Gene

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.41.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 03:46PM

Talked to a guy that made his own dip tank out of pvc pipe...he used 2inch pipe as he didn't want the expense of buying so many gallons of varnish. he made a pulley system with a crank handle to raise and lower his blanks.

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 05:35PM

Dip tank and use a finishing motor to pull the rod, stopping at each wrap to let the liquid pull off the wrap. Takes a long time, but it is the "correct" way most of the masters of old did it, and the way most makers still do it.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.221.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:37PM

Gene;
While it's true that dipping has become the modern standard, the vast majority of bamboo rods made when they were the only thing around were either brushed or sprayed. The easiest and quickest way to get a rod varnished is to spray it, it will also be better than dipping if you color preserve the wraps. There are various brands of varnish and polyurethane available in spray cans, use one that is labeled as "spar", that means it is exterior rated and has UV inhibitors in it. I don't know anything about Perma Gloss, but it sounds like something that wouldn't strip easily if it ever needs refinishing again, neither will epoxy.
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster