I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding table
Posted by: ken hilgart (96.13.202.---)
Date: March 14, 2009 11:12AM

Newbie to this site, have been playing with rodbuilding off and on for many years and need to upgrade my winding table. Would prefer to build my own, would appreciate any plans or ideas from more experienced builders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding table
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2009 11:16AM

Take a look in the library section

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 11:34AM

Ken,
A very simple way to make an excellent winding table is to get a section of counter top from your local home building store and hang it off the wall with triangle brackts or L brackets.
This means that you have a perfectly smooth, level surface with nothing under the way to get in your way.
You can often find surplus in some stores for less money.

If you are strapped for room, many rod builders find that a fairly narrow rod building table is just fine. For example about 2 feet.
So, if you are strapped for room and you want a 10 foot table, pick up a 10 foot counter top and have the building supply rip it to a width of 2 or what ever width that you went.
Then, go to the metal department and pick up some 2 inch by 2 inch steel angle stock. Mount the angle stock on the back underside of the counter top, and bolt to the wall.

Take another section of angle stock and mount under the front side. Place a leg or L bracket on each end and you are good to go.

p.s.
The local rod building shop uses such a piece of counter top to construct their rod building and handle turning lathe.
They simply bolt a motor down on one end of the counter top, have a headstock with a 1/2 inch keyless chuck mounted on the head stock and drive it with a belt from the motor. If you wish, you can bolt the motor on the underside of the counter and run the belt through the counter top.
Then, they used a router to route a groove in the top of the counter top. In that groove, a t-slot aluminum stock is installed to hold steady rests.

If you like, you can do the same thing for rod wrapping, simply use the same t-slot to hold the steady rests to hold the rod steady rests and bolt your power wrapper to the end of the bench that works for you.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: March 14, 2009 02:17PM

If you unhide your e-mail I will send you some. or just e-mail me and I will e-mail you back.
James,

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 06:37PM

Put that piece of Counter top on a Pair of 2 Drawer file cabinets. put a piece of 3/4" ply on top as a spacer for drawer opening. Give you storage room!

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 11:32AM

Some time you can get neat ciunter top from home recyclers

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 10:04AM

I had this one made fro me. Its 11'

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster