I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do I fix a loose ferrule?
Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 02:51AM

My fly rod sometimes casts itself as well as the line. I am not sure how to proceed with a repair?
Thanks for any guidance!

Pesco Ergo Sum

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I fix a loose ferrule?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 07:53AM

Use parrafin or Trondac U40 ferrule Lube. I much prefer the parrafin. It does everything you want it to do - makes it easier to remove, keeps ferrule from twisting (missaligned) and also from coming loose. But use parrafin - not candle wax that has other things in it. Get it at an old time hardware store or any place that sells canning jars. It is used to seal the jar tops.
Just swipe the parrafin, you might have to cut into pieces, over the male ferrule a few times to build-up wax and then twist the sections together.
Only thing you have to be careful of is not to get grit on the wax. It will stick and score your ferrules when you put rod together. If you do get grit on wax just wipe off with a cloth and reapply. One application will last many cycles.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 08:09AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2009 09:32AM

First, determine which end of the ferrule is loose. If this is a tip-over-butt type, you need to figure out which end of the ferrule needs work. If the male is bottoming out in the female, then you need to trim the tip of the male section back slightly, perhaps 1/8th of an inch. If the female end is tight over the male, but you detect a slight wobble in the upper area, you need to trim a slight bit from the female ferrule opening. Again, 1/8th inch and check for fit.

These are permanent repairs.

There is an upcoming article in RodMaker that shows how to easily determine where a ferrule is mis-fitting and how to cure it. There is more to this than meets the eye but every good custom rod builder should know how to fit ferrules properly.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: March 15, 2009 11:29AM

I agree with Herb - parrafin.
You can also put the female into a drill chuck, and carefully tighten it down, where it's needed. Recently, I had to repair a loose female. I did not want to try to remove it from the rod, and, as a result, I could not get my drill chuck over the flange on the female opening. I used a hose clamp to tighten it, near the opening, since that's where it seemed to be loose. Added a bit of parrafin (Super Duper Wally-World, in the canning aisle of the grocery department). So far, so good, but I haven't fished the rod, only fake-casted it extensivley.
The way I located the problem area was to pinch the male-female connection with my left thumb and fore finger, while wiggling the rod with my right. Rotated the rod in my right hand until the left hand could feel where the ferrule was loose.
Make sure that the rod is disassembled before you tighten the chuck or the clamp, and go slow!!! Tighten just a bit at a time, and check fit often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 11:45AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Erik Osterby (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 04:33PM

I think George is assuming that you have metal ferrules and not glass or graphite when he talks about putting the female ferrule in a chuck.

Erik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 04:35PM by Erik Osterby.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: March 15, 2009 07:07PM

ooops---I've got bamboo on the brain...yes I am referring to metal ferrules-sorry for the confusion.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: March 20, 2009 04:30PM

I have not done it but if the mail was cleaned and then scoffed with a pad and coated with Permagloss ?? I usually do this on glass and graphite to take up the slack.

letting them dry at least 24 hours before putting them together !

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2009 04:35PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: John Dicks (---.dhcp-dynamic.fibreop.ns.bellaliant.net)
Date: April 06, 2020 09:13AM

Is there a way to tighten the joint in loose metal ferrules that slip apart while fishing? I have a couple of older fiberglass rods where the Male tip section ferrule slips out easily. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster