I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

big bad rod
Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.uwnet.wisc.edu)
Date: February 09, 2009 10:49PM

Hi all,
I am looking for a rod blank 7.5 -8 feet long with the capability to long bomb 16-24 ounce jigs and poppers and not be too tough and turn my lower back into egg foo young. 8.5 feet was just too much for me. I am right now checking out rock cod blanks, but I am open to any and all suggestions. I have been looking mostly at moderate to moderate-fast actions, but again I am open to suggestions. I will be using a high speed reel, the Daiwa slosh 50. I prefer blanks with lifetime warranties if possible. Thanks all in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: big bad rod
Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: February 10, 2009 02:26AM

Just curious...is this for fishing Lake Mendota?

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (12.213.112.---)
Date: February 10, 2009 07:22AM

George, that would be a big stick indeed for Lake Mendota. However there are some musky's on that lake that could use a stick like that (lol). Chia you may want to contact Mark or Colleen at Acid Rod a sponsor on the left. It sounds like a surf rod application and they handle a lot of different blanks and will give you great honest information.

Chia and George, do you live in the area of Madison? I love to fish Mendota, it's a great smallie lake.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2009 08:18AM

Life warranty against defects, or lifetime warranty against breakage?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 08:45AM

Look at Lamiglas Tri-Flex blanks. There are several different models in 7'8" and 8'0" lengths. Don't pay too much attention to the line/lure ratings, they are VERY strong and VERY durable. I would suggest calling Bob at Custom Tackle or Todd at Mud Hole ... both gentlemen can help with those blanks.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.188.163.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 10:57AM

St Croix has their 7'8" XXXH Musky blank, rated for 8-20 or 8-30oz lures, depending on which site you look at! 65-100# rated blank, rated as a fast action, but it is actually parabolic and bends down near the foregrip! This may work for you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster