I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weaving jigs?
Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 10:46PM

I was thinking of making a weaving jig to see if I care for weaving. Looking around I see some round jigs that wrap around the rod, some flat jigs with "V" foam blocks, and some like the flat jigs that are just curved 90*. Any preferences? Is one better than the other, or does it just depend on the type of weave being done? Has this area already been covered on here?
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weaving jigs?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 12:49AM

You got it, it depends on the weaving application.

The round ones like the Wonder Weaver are able to hold threads that in some cases wrap completely
arround the rod. A flat set of jigs can't do that. The flat jigs however, are easier and quicker to set-up so
in some cases are a better choice for curtain types of patterns. Doc Ski re-designed his flat jigs from a
single flat base to a base that has 2 flats at a right angle. That design for larger jigs (80-100 thread cap)
helps keep the threads at a shallower angle (lower) to the blank.

One design you didn't mention is a "hanging weight loom". I tried to locate a photo of one in the photo
section but gave up after 20 pages. I know there is a photo of one around somewhere.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 03:34AM

If you can find a 20 year old Rod Crafter book. The whole pattern is in it. The rod stays stationary and you use a bobbin to hold the wrapping thread. As you use the bobbin to wrap around the rod and weave threads. Where a style like the wonder Weaver and DocSki's, you canturn the rod. At the Lamiglas show 2 years ago Kerry Hansen and DocSki demoed. both jigs. Andy where are you from? I believe they are going to have some styles of jigs at both the High Point show and the Southern CA. show in May. Check with Tom K for jigs at High Point and @#$%& Who might be carring jigs there
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 10, 2009 04:28AM

Washington state.
Looking at some of the work in the gallery is quite inspiring . . . and somewhat intimidating. Obviously I first need to learn to stand, then walk, then . . .
Anyway, some of the pre-made jigs are a bit pricey to just find out if I like to weave or not. I am relatively new to rod building and have much to learn. I made a nice 7' spinner for my son to steelhead with since he has a hard time with my rods. He is young and the longer rods are awkward for him. I currently use an IST1143F baitcaster with an acidwrap for steelhead. I like it a lot. Very nice to hook a fish on a rod I built. So now I want to learn / build a few more, and so it goes.

Posted by: Steve Biehler (---.dr01.aled.il.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 08:24AM

Hi Andy, hopefully someone can follow up with the right issue. There is an article in a previous Rodmaker describing the construction of the flat looms that you can easily build at home. It is probably similar to Doc Ski's 80-100 thread loom. I made mine out of light weight plastic sheet. I suspect that any stiff material could be used. It worked well enough for me to want to do more weaving.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 08:32AM

Andy there is a rod building show at the Lamiglas plant in April. If you are interested give Kendra at Lamiglas a call. It is free. There well be experience knowledgeable builders from all over the US, plus work shops in all phases of rod building. Where in Washington? I live in Elma by the coast 1/2 way between Olympia and Aberdeen. Some of the builders you see here well be there.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Dan Makauskas (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 09:06AM

Andy, Jim Upton's book has plans for a loom as well as many tips and tricks that have helped me out quite a bit. The plans also appeared in Rodmaker vol 9 issue 3. I have made several sets, they are easy to make and cost just a few dollars at the hardware store for parts.

Date: February 10, 2009 10:42AM

Thank you all.
At this point I plan to attend that show at Lamiglas. I hope to make a rod, but I was not fast enough to respond. Still, "stand-by" is not a "no"and Kendra seems very nice from here E-mails. A local builder I know recently told me about that so I have made plans to go. Just need to get a room.

I am in the Tri-city, Washington area. It is a few hours drive for me. I will be leaving here pretty early . . .

It will be exciting to meet some folks and learn a few things.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sub-70-193-105.myvzw.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 03:17PM

I'll second the suggestion for a jig like Doc's. He was kind enough to do a trade with me at the Lamiglas bash a couple of years ago. I've used it several times and they work well.

Date: February 10, 2009 03:35PM

Andy where are you staying? We and a few other builders are staying at the Lewis River Inn, best beds in town. Come up and say Hi. You well reconize me I am short 5'3" and my wife is 6"2"I well also be doing a cork repair class..

Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 10, 2009 05:00PM

Grant are you goint to Lamiglas in April this year? Hope to see you there.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2009 05:14PM

Stan Lothamer makes a nice weaving jig - he's also a sponsor of this website. EasyWeave Looms. Link to the left.

Date: February 11, 2009 12:51PM

Thanks Tom.
Bob, I sent an Email. Didn't want to fill up this page with stuff.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster