I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Roller tip tops
Posted by: cr (---.philadelphia-06-07rs.pa.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 11:01PM

I have read on this and other boards that epoxy bonds can be broken with a judicious application of heat. In attempting to remove roller tip tops from several rods to repair other problems, I have never been successful. Tried alcohol lamps, low heat propane torches and even electric soldering irons. In each case these were fiberglass rods and heat was applied slowly and carefully. The bond was tested many times during the process and went from not budging at all to the fiberglasss softening. Since I then had to cut more glass off the rod than just what was epoxied into the tip top I have given up and now cut the rod as close as possible to the tip and buy a larger top. People who bring a rod in for repair want to keep costs to a minimum so if there is a method that works I would appreciate hearing about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roller tip tops
Posted by: Petro Chem (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: September 22, 2001 10:00AM

Hi CR-

Try using a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and cut a slot along the tube that the blank is inserted into. Be careful not to cut into the blank. When you've got the slot cut all the way thru, take a small screwdriver, insert it into the slot and twist. The roller top should come right off. Hope that helps a little.

Tom

Re: Roller tip tops
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 22, 2001 10:15AM

In the Jan/Feb 2000 edition of RodMaker our Techniques column showed an excellent method for removing these tops. Most are adhered with an epoxy bond that cannot be broken with moderate heat. For that reason they are best cut off in order to keep from damaging the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster