I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need a 9-10 ft for crappie
Posted by: Jon Sanders (---.134.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 12:30AM

I'm needing a reasonably priced 9-10 ft crappie rod for a friend. Any suggestions? Also, he's wanting a Tennessee handle and I've never done one of those, any pointers?
Thanks

~Jon

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a 9-10 ft for crappie
Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 10:02AM

You can use a 9 foot fly rod blank for crappie rods Batson has a lot reasonlly priced as does others. You will have to select what you want. Handling them is the best way to make a selection. If unable to do that you may have to have somebody help you like Schneider's Rod Shop who have experiance with crappie fishing. I like the old Fenwich 721 6 foot 2 pcs blank but have had to go to the Batson SP-721-2 blank and use if for crappie and for trout since Fenwich no longer sells blanks. Liked the old fiberglass blanks for crappie fishing. Some people get the crappie poles and add guides and reel seat and turn them into special crappie rods. All your choose.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: January 23, 2009 10:53AM

Take a look at some of the salmon blanks and settle on one in the 10-11 ft range with a stiff butt and a limber tip.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 23, 2009 11:54AM

I agree with Sam. I build all my long Crappie rods on Salmon/Steel head blanks. I think Fly blanks are a little too soft . Need a little more stiffness back in the butt area but a limber tip. If I'm casting jigs I use a Popping blank in a 1 or 2 power. I really like the Rainshadow 7' Popping blanks for casting jigs to Crappie.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 02:34PM

Better to build "sacalait" jig poles two at a time - they tend to go after the hung up $ 0.50 jig down in a tree top with the rod tip stuck down in the water doing the shake - shake - shake and what they end up hearing is snap, crackle and pop! Just think, those guys broke me from @#$%& eggs and sent me off into the world of bass fishermen! Now I really got problems! }>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2009 02:35PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: sante morrone (---.dhcp.ccmn.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2009 11:48PM

Hi Jon i built my self a 9ft crappie rod 5 years ago on a 3 piece 4-5 wt fly rod ,it was my second spinning rod that i ever made i used the fuji concept system with fly guides all the way up the tip ,one thing i learned its a great casting rod for windy days were a 5 or 6 foot rod could not reach...needless to say i out fished all my buddies on one trip because no one else had a long rod...gotta have one in your arsenal

Sante Morrone
the fisherman

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster