I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinning or baitcaster which is more sensitive
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 11:41AM

I just watched a Bass Pro show on TV sponsored by Bass Pro Shops, the "very young", (late 20's early 30's), man featured on the show might be able to catch fish, but he knows nothing about rods. He tried to talk about rods and had all his information incorrect or was just hot air.
He stated that a spinning rod was more sensitive than a baitcaster for vertical jigging for small mouth bass. His explanation (if you can call it that) was that the guides were on the bottom of the rod on a spinning rod and that the guides were on top with the baitcaster.
If your jigging don't you have the line between your fingers to start with, so why would he make such a statement?

sensitivity

1. the state or quality of being sensitive; sensitiveness.
2. Physiology.
a. the ability of an organism or part of an organism to react to stimuli; irritability.
b. degree of susceptibility to stimulation.

feeling

1. the function or the power of perceiving by touch.
2. physical sensation not connected with sight, hearing, taste, or smell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinning or baitcaster which is more sensitive
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2009 11:53AM

Because like many fishermen, he doesn't know and hasn't really thought the issue through very well.

This is just one more area where well informed custom rod builders have the opportunity to educate the buying public and install themselves as the experts on these matters.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 12:22PM

Tim please reveal your email or send me one that I can reply to please.

Rods are used for many purposes by bass fishermen - the most sensitive thing about some of them is the frame of mind for the ones that did not cash in!

Thanks

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 12:36PM

"His explanation (if you can call it that) was that the guides were on the bottom of the rod on a spinning rod and that the guides were on top with the baitcaster."

So was he saying that a spinning rod was more sensitive BECAUSE the guides were on the bottom? If he was just comparing the layouts between the two, I guess he'd be real messed up and confused with a spiral wrap.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Obed Patty (164.144.248.---)
Date: January 16, 2009 12:52PM

I think he may falsely attributing qualities to his spinning rods. It is more than likely that he is correct regarding his equipment, and most equipment of bass fishermen, and which rods are more sensitive. My casting rods tend to be heavier rods for which I am throwing higher test line, usually mono. My spinning rods tend to be finesse rods and have lower test line. Given the equality of materials (eg. modulus, etc...), and action, my spinning rods may tend to be a little more sensitive because I am using lighter line, most often fluorocarbon, and the rods are lighter. The problem with his statement is that it has nothing to with a spinning rod guide placement; it more than likely has to with practice and methodology. His practice of using spinning rods for finesse fishing versus a casting rod (my assumption because he was targeting smallies) has led him to believe spinning rods are more sensitive. I agree with your statements Tim and Tom and add that I do not believe I could feel the difference on two identical blanks, with one built casting and one built spinning, even if the spinning had one less guide.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 01:06PM

A blank does not reflect its sensitivity by being built as a spinng or casting. You can buid the same blank eather way. It is the blank construction its self.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 01:59PM

His explanation makes perfect sense if you are Bass Pro Shops and you are paying him to do a show segment designed to sell spinning rods.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 02:22PM

ha ha ha I think Mike his this guy's number.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 03:42PM

Bait Caster.
Jeff

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 06:30PM

Tim,
You can get a million different answers to the question.
Many fishermen mistake the difference between - feeling type sensitivity for - visual type sensitivity.

Actually, in most cases, the heavier action the rod is, the more sensitive the rod is - i.e. for transmitting vibrations.

However, in the case of visual type sensitivity, - here the faster or lighter tip allows the tip to flex more easily with less pressure and thus is more visually sensitive.

You can talk about handles, guides, blanks, materials etc. However, it seems that when fisher folks refer to " sensitive rods" they normally reference a rod that has thin stiff graphite walls in the rod blank, that the rod is constructed of very light materials, and that the handle of the rod is constructed such that the fisherfolks have maximum feel of the blank, due to the design and materials of the handle.

Whether the rod is a bait caster or a spinning rod - is really not the question. A specific blank can be built with virtually the same handle, - and similar reel seat - so it is only the position of the guides - top vs bottom - and that difference makes no difference with respect to sensitivity.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.41.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 09:39PM

Most casting rods I've used have a little stiffer tip and thus I would guess be less sensitive whereas a spinning rod normally have a softer tip.
That has been my experience anyway.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 10:32PM

"Action" is neither heavy med. or light. Those are terms discribing "power"
"Action" is either fast , medium, slow, or anywhere inbetween.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 11:57PM

could it be that most bass fishermen use spinning rods for light "sensitive" type applications. i think it is about perception and nothing more. "sensitive" is a relative term depending on the person and application, but i am sure it helped sell a few spinning rods

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 03:24AM

Most bass fishermen (or the ones I know) use spinning rods for FINESSE presentation techniques. Example - 1/8 oz shakey head with 4" finesse worm or a zoom meathead on a drop shot using a small amount of weight on light line. Yes sensitivity is very important on these techniques, but the ability to correctly present the lure is as well... in comes the spinning rod...

I don't know of a bass fisherman who has chosen a spinning rod due to increased sensitivity (with factory rods).

If you look at the rod builds - factory rods not vibronics, barebacks, etc - decide which is more sensitive in the following scenario:

Company A produces one blank (it doesn't matter what kind... using it both set ups). Two configurations one spinning, one casting. The spinning model utilizes arbors and the reel seat does not actually contact the blank. The casting model may have more guides, but due to the smaller framed guides, has less added weight and has a blank exposed reel seat.

Is it time for a new video?

-----------------
AD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster