I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Profit
Posted by: Michael Brundridge (---.austtx.swbell.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 12:01AM

I am in the process of starting to build rods again. Many things have changed since I last built rods as a hobby (my father use to build them for sale). My question is what is a resonable markup for building custom rods (25%, 30%, 50%, etc.)? Hopefully this is a valid topic for the board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Profit
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 09:11AM

Everyone has their own idea. During my time in the business, I would not build a rod for less than the commercially available counterpart. Usually my labor charge amounted to a minimum of $100 for any rod constructed and rose upward depending upon the amount of work (not time) involved.

You will no doubt get other answers. The most practical one I can give is that you should charge what the market will bear. This, of course, depends upon your market, your quality and your reputation.

Posted by: Bill Vance (---.tnt13.phoenix.az.da.uu.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 12:18PM

This rodbuilding business seems like a tough way to make a living. The perception by the public is that a "factory" rod has greater value than a custom rod. This view severely restricts the price a custom builder can command in the marketplace. No doubt the no-fault warantees have a dramatic effect on rod values. If anyone doubts these facts, go to @#$%& and check rod prices on factory vs custom rods. In nearly every case, factory rods sell for more than custom rods,even those by those builders that have a high reputation for quality work. Good or bad, that is the way it plays out and why the profit for the average rod builder will always be a struggle.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 12:39PM

The commercial rod companies have spent a great deal of money building an image - part of that is what you pay for when you purchase a rod. A customer buying such a rod is also buying that company's image and prestige. He finds value in these things and is proud to fish these rods. These are things many custom rod builders have failed to cultivate for themselves. In most cases, the general fishing rod buyer only looks at the custom rod builder as an assembler of parts - something anyone can do. Thus, the services of a custom builder are not considered to be anything special.

There are ways to circumvent this and I have written several articles in the magazine to try and help. If you want to see how to reach a more exclusive market and/or command higher prices, look at those custom builders who have been very successful and do what they do. In almost every case, they offer the buyer something which he or she simply cannot get in commercially available product. They also build a really top-shelf product which, sad to say, many custom rod builders do not. I am sure that will start a firestorm of controversy, but it is true.

Hopefully the recent rise in availibility of information for the custom rod builder will help us all to improve our work and learn how to cultivate the markets that are willing to pay a fair price for good custom rods.

@#$%&
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 01:06PM

If I were buying a rod off of @#$%&, I would be skeptical of a custom built one, and would pay more for a factory rod. How do I know if the "custom" built rod was built by a reputable builder? At least with the factory rod on @#$%&, I know what I'm getting myself into. Chances are if guys are buying rods on @#$%&, they will not pay the $$ that a top quality rodbuilder will command.

With all this info on the net, with the 2 rod building publications, and the various seminars/conclaves - it is a great time to be a rodbuilder!!! Billy

more on profits....
Posted by: Petro Chem (---.powerinter.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 01:48PM

Cut and paste this link into your address bar and have a read. I think BrianR's comment really gives a great perspective on pricing your work.

[]

His post was very thought provoking and may help you decide how YOU should charge based on what you can really provide to a potential customer.

My feeling is that if your product is top-notch, charge your customer accordingly. If your product is subpar.....

Hope this helps a little!

Tight lines and wrap jobs.

Tom

Re: more on profits....
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 21, 2001 04:51PM

Years ago I worked with a gent who was in the business and wasn't very good at it. lacked imagination and knowledge but he kept buisy because he was smart. One thnig he did was to buy but factory rods and take them apart so that customers could see what they were paying for ,invariably they'd opt for one of his "custom assembled " rods.
Warren

Posted by: Charlie2 (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 06:46PM

Where can you buy a 'manufactured' rod with the spiral wrap?

I am an amateur hobbyist who has been building rods since childhood, but can be persuaded to sell a rod if the price is right. I fish with all of my rods and the beach is my showcase. Most of the rods are bought from me right on the beach where people see them in action. The first question is 'where did you get it'? and when told, "how much will you sell it for ?" I have quoted some outrageous prices because I wasn't particularly interested in selling that rod, and have the person pay the price without blinking an eye. I go home and get back on the rod winding thing and make another bigger and better. I should learn to weave, but I don't think so. I'll leave that to others. Right now, I'm up to my ears making landing nets and fishing lures.

I have been getting some strong, hard looks(gawking?) at my spiral wraps and haven't parted with one so far, but probably will. Most people who know quality will pay what it costs. The others will go to the XMarts, then complain. C2

Posted by: Michael Brundridge (---.austtx.swbell.net)
Date: September 22, 2001 11:19AM

I figured I would get a few bites on this subject, thanks to all who responded and thoses who have yet to respond.

Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2001 01:21PM

Mike, my way has been to charge the retail price for all components and materials, glue,finish, thread etc, then add on the labor charge, which is by the foot. How much per foot depends on the complexity of the wraps. This way I can give the customer my labor charge up front, and let the customer choose his/her components. I require the cost of the components and materials as a deposit, with labor and taxes to be paid on delivery. My wife who has been involved with many crafters over the years, says that a minimum craft charge is usually double the cost. Just thought this may give you another couple ideas to chew on, hope this post doesn't add too much to the confusion. Good luck, Bob Vasko

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster