I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stand-up rods reel seat
Posted by: chris-flying fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: September 20, 2001 10:29PM

Looking for suggestions on suitable reel seats for standup short stroking rods, 30 and 50# class rods. Naturally the aluminium Afto ones are an option. What about the lighter graphite Fuji ones?

Appreciate comments on the different sorts around and if the heavier trolling butt types are an option, quite a big subject but nice to get various views.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stand-up rods reel seat
Posted by: Petro Chem (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 12:48AM

Hi Chris-

Aftco seats are always a good choice- high quality, tough, etc. Try the ARS2 size for smaller diameter blanks and reels like TLD20,30 or similar. ARS3 will fit up to an 80-class reel and as small as a 30 with no probs. Perfection makes a nice seat as well as Stuart. All are great choices.

If you go the Fuji Heavy Duty graphite route, it's best on 50# and under rigs. Great seat as well. Nice thing about the graphite seats is that they tend to stay locked down pretty well with little effort, and don't seem to come loose as easily as an aluminum seat. I like these seats a lot.

If you choose an Aftco or similar (Stuart, Pac Bay) butt, #2 size will be most common choice. The #1 size for smaller, lighter blanks and smaller reels. 30 and smaller reels fit the #1 butt nicely, and the #2 size will accomodate up to an 80 size reel.

Your choice will probably depend on your application and fishing style. I use #2 Aftco aluminum butt on stand-up rods designed for trolling with the rod in the holder- foam butt grip for bait & chunk stuff where the rod will be held by the fisherperson all day.

My opinion is that if your going to stay in the 50# and under range you could use any of the seats mentioned, if you plan to go heavier than 50# definitely use aluminum.

Sorry 'bout the novel! Hope it helps a bit.

Tom

Posted by: chris-flying fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: September 21, 2001 09:28AM

Tom,

thanks for the info, appreciated. As you mentioned, the Fuji DPS-H is nice as it stays locked down. Thats why I like it. Also use the Aftco Aluminium, no problems either, except the rings need to be tightened now and then and can be tough to unscrew.

Any other options for nylon trolling butts? Fuji has a butt (FBH) but it doesn't look like its for trolling as there is not gimbal seat.

Chris

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2001 09:33AM

You could try both the stuart tough butt or the sleeve only,also a product called slick grip is available,you go need to check the butt size against the ID of the sleeves.

Posted by: Panchdara (---.ibl.bm)
Date: September 28, 2001 06:58AM

There is also the Italian option... Alutecnos. From what I can tell, their butt, MP02SS0A (22mm ID), is equivalent to UB2S and is interchangable. Their larger UB4 type series (25mm ID) has a slighlty shorter ferrule than the UB4 (Aftco) butts and are therefore not interchangable. Their prices are far better than Aftco. Check with Campbells perhaps. Just an idea.

Tight lines
Hugh

Posted by: Chef Jim (---.tnt1.hemet.ca.da.uu.net)
Date: September 29, 2001 01:59AM

Chris,
You should look at the new PacBay aluminum reel seat with the chanelled hood. Just came out this year, have not used one but affords the same security andconvenience of the same set up in graphite:the locking hood stays in one position.
Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster