I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

High Priced Rods vs Economy Rods
Posted by: Eric (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 20, 2001 07:56PM

I don't want to step on anyone's toes here and if the web master feels this inquiry "out of line" with the published format, I'll certainly understand and withdraw it, but I've been thinking.... since there appears to be a new surge in the rod building industry of very good quality, yet economically priced blanks, what makes the "high end" blanks worth the outrageous prices some of them carry? (I'm excluding bamboo in this comment/inquiry) I mean, come on!, some of the finished factory graphite fly rods now days are $600.00 plus!! Sure they're great rods, but are they worth that kind of money? I know it has a lot to do with marketing stratagies, brand name, research and development, etc., but for the life of me, I can't see a "high end" rod being worth some $300.00 to $500.00 more than many of the lesser priced rods. Am I missing something here, or is it the same kind of deal when a person buys a Cadillac over the exact same model, but it's called a Buick?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High Priced Rods vs Economy Rods
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 20, 2001 08:03PM

In some cases you are probably correct. I know of many rods in the $200 to $300 catagoery that I find to be every bit as good as those in the $500 to $700 group. I'm sure there are a lot of factors. If the prices are keystoned, which is usually double, then a $500 rod gets in to the dealer for $250 and the $300 rod for $150. Suddenly the difference isn't so great. Mark up plays a major role I am sure.

One thing I know for sure is that you can build a better rod than you can buy at any price. At least with a bit of practice and patience. I have maybe 5 factory rods from top name companies and while they are all fishable and work well and have plenty of snob appeal, my second custom rod will outfish any of them and I happen to think my workmanship is better than on any of those others.

As long as the marketing and ad geniuses continue to convince people that this is what they have to own then there will be market for $700 rods. I wouldn't know what to do with one personally.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: September 20, 2001 09:00PM

Eric,
It basically boils down to what you wish to pay for in regards to quality of materials. I have invariably showed a customer, be it expert pro angler or guide to a newbie that has just fished a $20 wal-mart special some of the differences between the grades and qualities of the graphite in blanks. This really is what you're paying for is the technology behind the development of the material and also the grade or how the material is put together to arrive at a 'value'.
Not that I want to sound like an expert with this, and I am sure someone from the industry may come in to explain more, but I can say that almost always if placed in the hands of any angler, the finer blanks or rods will immediately be distinguished from the 'beer budget' ones. Everyone expects the highest quality, but would prefer the lower price, it doesn't work the other way around.

The materials like seen in SCV or GLX, etc. and the expertise behind why they become so desireable are the features easily detectable when you go out and fish with the fine rods. It may not be so much the matter as which will catch more fish, as it is the quality, fit, finish, fatigue reduction, less weight, appearance, and those types of qualities. I often take a customer through the range of blanks or rods from lower quality (not necessarily lower price) to higher quality and differnentiate along the way what are the features and reductions in weight, etc. and by the way, not always are the high end blanks or rods the highest price. There are excellent moderate price choices to qualify for a high end custom rod, depending on other factors that the rodbuilder might have for improved performance or appearance.
Consider that you can do similar differentiation with a range of sporting equipment from titanium golf clubs to high end or low end tennis rackets. It's basically a matter of preference and mental/physical adjustment to the equipment and applied specifications. That may be what makes us further refined in our appreciation of our love for fishing and rodbuilding.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Gadwall8 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: September 21, 2001 07:13AM

I'll add....

Many of "high end" rods also carry "no fault" replacement warranties. So, the price of the rod in your hand includes, that rod plus a portion of what it costs to replace it when/if you break it.

Gadwall

Posted by: Andy (---.umacs.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 11:37AM

You also get a tube and sock (bag) with the high priced rods. This adds around $50.00 to the cost (retail).

Andy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster