I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kunnan Rod
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 14, 2008 10:53PM

Well I have seen my first one. A friend brought it to me for a tip replacement and a re-wrap job. I did a "search" and found a couple of people that owns one. This is one well built rod. It is a 7'6", 2 piece Flipping stick, 12 to 30 lb line. Owner thinks it was made in the early nineties. He says it is the best factory rod he has ever owned. I thought it was very unique. Has brown EVA grips and brown Fuji trigger seat. Blank is iridescent brown, looks like the Boron rods Diawa used to make. Blank is in great shape.
I was wondering if these rods or blanks can still be purchased.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 12:14AM by Jay Hunt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kunnan Rod
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2008 11:05PM

Long gone unless something has changed. I see them pretty often here.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 11:11PM

I've repaired lots of Kunnan rods over the years. They were a very popular rod back in the eighties. Supposedly there was a fire and a lot of their equipment was damaged. H & H Lure Co. in Baton Rouge, La purchased the remaining equipment and started having the rods built overseas through the mid to late nineties under their H & H label until they discontinued them.
I remember those rods well. Like you said brown eva grips, brown blanks and Fuji Hardloy guides, all double ft and high framed.

Lance

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 08:45PM

I've had a few Kunnans, I bought them because at the time I was told they were the company G Loomis bought his IM6 graphite from and they were the same color as the G Loomis IM6 rods, This was the year after G Loomis quit making the IM6 blanks and started the GL 2,3 and 4 series.
When I was in FL a Kunnan rep asked me to build a few SW rods for them, on their graphite blanks, after they saw me catching a bunch of fish off some of the artifical reefs north of Haulover Cut ,N Miami. I was using my Loomis/Lamiglas hotshot or backbouncing rods and Pt .Defiance salmon jigging spoons and they really had the fish's attention.
I got to keep the rod I built with the Fuji high frame casting guides as they said they liked it, but could never sell one built that way. It's probably a 30 lb or maybe a little heavier blank that I still use for a oversize sturgeon rod. The 20+ year old guides have yet to give me a problem.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 15, 2008 11:37PM

Kunnan seem to be legendary rods and can bring good money. They are popular used rods on the Outer Banks in NC. I see alot of them sitting in Tackle shops.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 04:05PM

I have repaired one once, and I must say the finish was the hardest I have ever encountered in any of the rods I have ever repaired. Not certain if that was just an odd one or like them all. I do know a couple of guys who really liked them in the 9' or longer for casting for Steelhead and Salmon on one of our larger rivers.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 17, 2008 12:13AM

Kerry You are so right. The blank finish is the hardest I think I have ever encountered. I just finished wrapping the guides back on today, a new set, and got the Cp on to dry. I didn't wrap it back like it was originally. It had some foil under the butt wrap in 2 places. All the logos and blank information was in great shape, the finish popped right off with the help of a thumbnail and the inscriptions are still intact. I wrapped it with Gold Nylon trim bands with Green Metallic inlays in the Gold and used Brown Nylon for main wraps. It had long wraps on it originally so I had plenty of room to wrap and cover the old thread marks. Turned out pretty nice. The Brown EVA grips cleaned up good also. Doesn't feel nor look like the EVA we use today. I cleaned the grips with dry wall screen. They look and feel like velvet . They may be the old Moose Skin grips.

Posted by: Dean Sanders (---.my.af.mil)
Date: March 09, 2009 03:56PM

Hi All,

I am very new to this. I have a 4'6" Kunnan Graphite Competitor very light weight. Well it just got shut in the tail gate and snapped off just about 6" from the top. My question is, "can the rod be repaired?" If so, how much should this cost? Can you suggest someone reputable to do this type of repair?

Thanks for the info. I am really enjoying reading this forum.

Dean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster