I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HELP!Suggestions on a quality, inexpensive, salt water fly reel
Posted by: Chris (---.2001ms.li.onsiteaccess.net)
Date: September 18, 2001 10:27AM

I have recently purchased a Loomis adventure fly reel for fresh water and it is AWESOME. It has a machined frame and spool and the drag feels incredible. All for $99.95. I am looking for a Large Arbor salt water 9wt reel that has a similiar quality/price ratio like the above mentioned reel. All suggestions welcomed!
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP!Suggestions on a quality, inexpensive, salt water fly reel
Posted by: Steve Bohrer (12.15.129.---)
Date: September 18, 2001 11:10AM

Pfleuger 1498 is hard to beat for the price. You have to rinse it good, but so should you with any of them. For the price (<$50, you could replace it every year if you had to.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 18, 2001 12:08PM

I saw your post and was going to come on here and recommend the Loomis Adventure Series. I bought 8 of them last year. They are among the best reels I have ever used and are priced much more reasonably than most fly reels.

One thing to keep in mind, is that large arbor reels do not necessarily take in more line per spool revolution than small arbor reels. The arbor has nothing to do with it - the outside diameter of the spool is what counts (provided you are working with spools that are fully loaded with line.) In other words, if you buy a large arbor reel that has the same spool diameter as the largest Adverture Series reel it will not take up line any quicker. It will just hold less backing.

I have used one of the Loop reels and they are excellent. Also pricey. I just don't know of any large arbor reel with the quality/features of the Adventure reel with a similar price point. Sorry. Maybe somebody else knows of one.

Posted by: Brian R. (---.malibunet.com)
Date: September 18, 2001 12:11PM

Hey Chris,

Be sure to check out the Teton Tioga LA at around $140. I use the non-LA on my 9wt, and you would be hard-pressed to find a more better reel in that price range. I've used it in both fresh and salt.

Brian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 18, 2001 12:48PM

I forgot to mention the Teton - I sold them for several years and they are nice reels. But I am pretty sure the same frame is used on both the LA and SA models, so the large arbor doesn't do anything for you except reduce backing capacity. Still, it's a nice reel.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: September 18, 2001 01:08PM

Chris,
You might be interested to know that new for 2002 offerings by St. Croix is a lare arbor fly reels. Perhaps not classed as 'inexpensive', I would say they represent true value for their degree of construction and performance. You might want to check the St. Croix website at www.stcroixrods.com for specs and descriptions or feel free to email me for any information as we are also a St. Croix rod dealer.
The reels are a beautifully finished platinum green or gloss black and are machined from aircraft grade lightweight aluminum with stainless steel anti-corrosion parts. These high performance reels might well be worth considering for someone looking for an excellent match with your favorite custom fly rod.
Something new from St. Croix and I believe something many have long been waiting for.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel
info@rodreel.com

Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: September 18, 2001 01:08PM

I have had good luck and been impressed with the Reddington reels. They are under $200.

Posted by: Andy (129.237.146.---)
Date: September 18, 2001 01:49PM

This may fall into the 'mid-price' range but I really like the Lamson Litespeed reels. These have been very highly reviewed in the fly fishing mags. I own 3 of them and think they are great value for the money.

The Tetons, as suggested above, are very nice reels for the cash as are the Ross reels.

Andy

Posted by: Steve (---.akzo-nobel.com)
Date: September 18, 2001 04:36PM

I've got the Okuma Integrity large arbor reel. It is as smooth as any others I've seen. I got it off @#$%& for about $45.00. Believe me, this reel is worth it's weight in gold. I've got it on a St. Croix 9' 7wt and it has performed flawlessly.

Steve

Posted by: WISHBONE (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 18, 2001 08:31PM

YOU HAVE GOT TO GO WITH REDINGTON. CALL THIS GUY, HE MIGHT HAVE A USED ONE AT A GREAT PRICE. JOHN @561-287-6535.

Posted by: chris-flying fish (---.kja34.jaring.my)
Date: September 19, 2001 04:38AM

Some one mentioned about the price, and yes they do make a killing for a 300 buck reel. Well a rep of a USA company that shall remained unnamed, said that the profit margin of the reels are real high, just like blank production, the reels are actually cheap to produce. Problem is the market, so many companies only so many customers. BUT...... would the price come down if the production went up?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster