I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wind on roller guides
Posted by: thad peach (66.129.100.---)
Date: September 13, 2008 05:05PM

I just taped on a set of Aftco roller guides to a super seeker blank ss-ctsf63xxxh. The look heavy and feel heavy on this blank. Are these guides a good match to this blank? I am using a 50 SDS avet reel with 500 yards of 130 hollow spectra with a 100 lb mono top shot. I may be using the loop to loop wind on leaders or leaders tied directly to the spectra and also running up the leader inside of the hollow spectra. I know that I want roller guides not because of the want them but because of the last few minutes of a battle with a large yellow fin tuna it becomes a back and forth battle at the boat and that is where I think the need for all rollers become necessary.

I got the wind on rollers for the knot clearance but now I am thinking they may be to large what do yall think??

Thanks

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wind on roller guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2008 10:38PM

You could always use the butt guide and then the rest all the smallest wind-ons that are available. Or, ceramics.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 07:51AM

I think, I'm not sure, but I think - All American Rollers have the clearance for wind ons. Do not quote me on that, you might want to give them a ring and tehy will tell you for sure.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (98.105.85.---)
Date: September 14, 2008 09:00AM

The advice Tom gave you is good. I use alot of rods with windons and rollers and Aftco is by far the best bang for the dollar hand down. The Winthrop tool rollers are excellent also but very costly but also very light in weight. Aftco Make a set of windons starting with a 42 double roller this set may be better for your application. With loop to loop connections you really need very little clearance through the guides. Scott

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 12:40PM

Reading "Aftco is by far the best bang for the dollar hand down" makes me wonder if you've ever tried AA's? I don't ask that to be confrontational, I ask because of years of watching builders pick components at the counter and seeing nine out of ten picking AA's over wind-ons for their composite blanks, based mainly on size.

Billy's right on the knot clearance issue. AA's clearance is within a few thousandths of the Aftco Wind-ons with no where near the bulk. The feet on the smaller guides are about .160" and rarely need to be ground away, even on an "H" or "XH" composite.

Price is not much more than a set of Aftco HD's and a whole lot less than a Bigfoot or Wind-on.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.73.---)
Date: September 15, 2008 10:44AM

Unless you plan on winding-on knots tied in the mono, a set of heavy duty Aftco rollers (not wind-ons) will do the job. They will pass splices in braid and loop to loop connections easily.

Dave

Posted by: thad peach (66.129.100.---)
Date: September 15, 2008 11:53AM

I think I will try a set of the AA roller guides. Will these hold up to heavy drags and 200 lb yellowfin tuna stand up style?

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2008 12:05PM

Thad

I used the Windons on a CTS-56 xxh..

here is the last guide near the tip. (They do look a little big for the blank, but it has worked fine and I have caught many sharks 300- 400+ on this rod)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have also used the AA and they are a much narrow frame as Mark mentioned and look good on the rod. I think the AA are SS, while the Aftco's are plated..

The only thing I really like about the Aftco's is the size of the roller...It is much bigger than the AA, but not sure if that makes a whoot of a difference..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster