I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

calstar rock cod rod
Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (97.92.190.---)
Date: September 05, 2008 11:58AM

I have been eyeing these blanks to use for SE Asian bottom fishing. We just leave the rods in the rod bolder and crank when a fish bites. I am looking for a rod with a moderate action for easier bite detection and a strong butt section for when the occasional monster climbs on. I have used game rods in the past but keep going back to more moderate action rods. I have not built on a rock cod blank before and am hoping to hear feedback from people who have spent a good bit of time fishing both rock cod rods and game rods for their feedback. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: calstar rock cod rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2008 05:53PM

IGFA trolling rods are generally very moderate to even slow action. I'm really not familiar with those specific rock cod blanks you mention, but many of the bottom type fishing rods I am familiar with are still not exactly fast action rods - more moderate than fast.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 07:44PM

I have built quite a few rods on the Calstar rock cod blanks used as bottom fishing rods. They are moderate fast to moderate action. It's almost right in between the two.

Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2008 10:12PM

I've used Calstar's up to the 40 fathom mark using 8-10oz iron jigs on a 700ML with utmost satisfaction. I've also used the GX7 as well as 700L rods too with no complaints from me, but the fish
don't seem to agree.

On thing to note, the 700ML and 700L blanks are not one would consider a "lightweight" in the mass department. Extended jigging sessions will make you realize the true weight on the rod/reel combo.

YMMV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster