I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Update on theTexas Get together
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: October 29, 2002 08:03PM

WOW!!!
Well last Saturday when Mac (Gerald's nickname) and I discussed this shindig over breakfast at the coffee shop, we kind of envisioned it as strictly a way for everyone who posts on this board to simply get together and put faces with names. Since we all have busy schedules and outside obligations, we had just planned for it to be a one day affair. This really would not leave much time for in depth demonstrations on techniques and such. We just thought it would be a great way for everyone to bring a few rods and "oooh and aaah!" over each others work. Maybe get a chance to cast some rods we havent had a chance to cast, eat some BBQ at the Salt Lick and then call it a day.
HOWEVER it seems that there are some people that would like to see some demos. SO you guys tell us what you think would be more productive: A simple get together to drink beer and tell lies, or a serious demo session on Rod Building techniques. Maybe a combo of both?
The other thing we have to consider is the fact that there isn't a lot of time left in the year with good weather. Not that it gets real cold here in Texas, but December certainly isn't a real pleasant time to be outside. Plus, a lot of people are traveling for the holidays real soon, which could be an issue. So if we were going to have a SERIOUS demo session, it might be better to wait until the spring when the weather is more agreeable. This would also give us more time to plan some neat things as well. BUT if we are just going to get together for the day, November is normally really nice in central Texas. It's up to y'all, this was just a little brainstorm that we had in hopes of making some new friends, you guys have just as much of a say in this as we do!

THE FLOOR IS OPEN FOR DISCUSSION.......

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats
lamarreelseats.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Update on theTexas Get together
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 29, 2002 08:46PM

I'm a bit far off to attend something in Texas, but I can tell you that even a simple rod building get together where builders just bring some rods and sit around talking will generate a lot of information being shared. You don't necessarily need a formated program for people to be able to pick each others brains and get answers and ideas. I meet with about 3 or 4 other local builders sometimes and we really swap some good ideas back and forth. You're bound to have a lot more guys than that and you'll be amazed at how much info gets shared even without a formatted program.

It's nothing to me, but why not just have a get together and let everybody in your area get to know each other first. Bring some rods and talk rod building. It's less work on any one person, shouldn't cost anybody anything and plenty of info still gets passed around. If everyone decides that they want to do more, then you can plan a real formatted seminar for next spring. I wish you guys the best of luck.

Posted by: Brad Corbett (---.austin.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2002 10:52PM

I'm in austin and I'm new to rod building, I'd be game to get together and just meet some people who know more than I do about this addictive hobbie. I'm currently working on my first rod and it would be awesome for some veterans to critique my first rod and give me some tips. Count me in. Plus I love the Salt Lick!!!

Posted by: George Thurston (207.50.90.---)
Date: October 30, 2002 03:29AM

I Live in San Angelo and would love to get together but remember that Texas is a big state and finding a location that is some where in the middle for everyone to come would be the best way. Maybe even having a couple in say the east, central, west, etc. Feel free to email me direct if you want to talk about setting up one in West Texas I would be happy to Host or help set up one.

Thanks

George Thurston
West Texas Twister Rods

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: October 30, 2002 09:32AM

How about we have an informal gathering sometime in November, just to put faces with names. Then, we could discuss organizing a moreintense get together with demos and such in the spring or summer of 2003. This way there is not so much pressure to organize something massivein the next few weeks...any thoughts?

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats
lamarreelseats

Posted by: Joe Graves (---.camalott.com)
Date: October 30, 2002 10:47AM

Andy great idea, Driftwood not that far from Cross Plains,Tx. I'm going in hospital for surgery Nov.7 and will be down for awhile. If I miss the 1 st one, you will surely have a 2nd one. Good Luck!!!!!!

Texas Sidewinder Rods

Posted by: Paul Schendel (134.163.253.---)
Date: October 30, 2002 12:01PM

Andy,
I replied to the other thread that I would like to attend. Being new to this hobby, I would be interested in just a get together to meet other builders and share ideas. After this, a demo session later on would be of great interest to me.

Paul Schendel (Hockley, just NW of Houston)

Posted by: Sharon Johnson (216.201.163.---)
Date: October 30, 2002 12:13PM

George,
I think multiple locations is a great idea. I would be happy to help set something up and provide the location in Houston if anyone was interested. I guess we'll have to see how the first get together goes before we plan the next.
Sharon Johnson
All Star

Date: October 30, 2002 12:33PM

Man,
You guys are great! I'll talk to Roger tonight to see what date(s) will be good for him.

Andy

Posted by: Ron Beagles (---.com)
Date: October 31, 2002 01:10PM

Paul !!

I live in Tomball and have been making rods for over 20 years. email me and maybe we can get together sometime.

thanks

Ron Beagles

Posted by: Paul Erwin (---.enron.com)
Date: October 31, 2002 06:14PM

Andy,

I would be interested in attending as well.

Ron & Paul,

I also live in Tomball. Drop me an email if you guys want to get together.

Posted by: Mary Lou Van deRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: November 01, 2002 03:23PM

I love the idea of a get together, even it is just a "get to know everyone session"......
My computer has been down for a week, this is the first I have learned about it.....
Keep me posted.........
MaryLou

Date: November 01, 2002 04:18PM

Guys and Gals,
I am finalizing a date with Roger right now...I'll keep all of you posted!

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats
lamarreelseats.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster