I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another T&T problem
Posted by: Bryan Duke (---.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2002 01:57AM

I come across all kinds of deals while building rods for people, and sometimes I get some high-end products in trade for work. This time I've got a T&T HS864-4 from a customer who inherated(sp) the rod from a relative that passed this summer, and he wanted a casting rod in trade. It is a beautifull rod and casts like a dream. I was fishing for Sea Run Cutthroats A few days ago and had a Steelhead slam the Dry Fly I was using. Anyway, the rod snapped about 2" above the ferrule, at the section below the tip. I called T&T and found that the section will cost me $98.00 to replace. It has become my favorite S.R.C. Rod and I intend to repair it. The problem is that T&T will not sell me the thread or tell me what it is, and the same thing goes with the finish they use. Does anyone have any idea what is uesd on this series of rod? The thread looks like a semi-metallic green and a semi-metallic red. The finish appears to be a verry light low-build epoxy, similar to a fly-tying head cement. My only other solution is to strip the guides and re-wrap the rod with a differant thread and finish. Has anyone got the information, not just what is close, it needs to match. Thanks in advance
Bryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another T&T problem
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: October 30, 2002 09:22AM

I am not familar with the thread color. You can strip one guide and look at the back side of the thread and get a better idea of the true color.

The finish they use would likely be one of the common epoxies on the market today. The depth of build is more directly related to your application technique and how much you put on, than it is the finish itself. Any of the low-build or "lite" epoxies would be a good place to start.

Posted by: Jeff Paddock (208.177.238.---)
Date: October 31, 2002 04:58PM

Bryan, Try using some of the regular nylon thread without a thread preserver on top. I have one of those rods and if I remember correctly that's what those wraps looked like to me.

Posted by: Dan Craft (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: October 31, 2002 04:58PM

Brian,

I am surprised to hear that about T&T! Not that I am partial to them or anything but I have returned a number to them for repair ( even one that was broken when it made contact with the cieling fan in our room in Baja!) and they have never charged me more than return shipping!

Dan

Speaking about them, T&T blanks!
Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: October 31, 2002 09:54PM

How about building them? Do they come "spined" or some how marked as other brands?
How are they sold? Do they come with tube, sock, plastic bag, and / or Label?
Do they have written Warranty / Card?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Speaking about them, T&T blanks!
Posted by: IDJacobsen (---.public.lawson.webtv.net)
Date: November 05, 2002 06:40PM

Like certain rod manufacturing operations, many of the finishes used by rod companies are considered "proprietary" or "trade secrets" and are generally not divulged. Some rods like Winston would seem to use a fairly thick epoxy to create their trademark "football" shape, while companies like Orvis use several coats of a very thin finish. With the range of 1 and 2 part products currently available to rodbuilders, virtually any factory finish can be closely duplicated without knowing the exact formula used.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster