I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building a stand-up tuna stick
Posted by: PAUL BEAULIEU (---.0.73.253.adsl.snet.net)
Date: June 17, 2008 03:36PM

Recently rec'd an invite for a (first-ever) tuna trip off Cape Cod chasing bluefins later this summer. My inventory of self-built s/w sticks is pretty much designed for lighter-fare Long Island Sound (stripers, fluke & and blues) so does not include the beefier stand-up stick that I anticipate will be advisable for the feisty bluefins. Fortunately, I got lucky on @#$%& and scored a Calstar GF765ML tuna blank on which to build the appropriate tool for my tuna safari. Now, I could use some advice from forum experts here on suggested guide, handle measurements, etc. before I order the rest of the components. Please don't be shy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building a stand-up tuna stick
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 17, 2008 03:48PM

You should read Rodmaker Vol.5 issue6 on stand up rods. I didn't know how much was involved getting it set up. It's more then just a standard, dealing with type of harness etc..... Very good article!

Date: June 17, 2008 04:07PM

Thanks for bird-dogging the resource. Isn't it just my just my luck ....... that goes back to '02 and two issues before I became a subscriber. Looks like I order the back issue. Any recommendations on guides based on experience?

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: June 17, 2008 04:10PM

I have that exact blank. Its AWESOME with 80#. The reel I use on it is a Penn Int 20 that has been 2-speeded and reworked by Cal Sheets. The spool is 1 5/8" wide and the hiegth to the top of the spool when empty is 3 1/8". These dimentions are important because the layout I used will need adjusting for a different sized reel. For guides I used all Fuji LBSG single foot heavy duty boat guides. The rod is built as an acid rod. Locations are given in terms of degrees with 0 degrees being the top of the blank and 90 degree being the right side.

The layout of the butt section is:
Aftco gimbal
8 1/2" long read grip
Aftco 2M reel seat
14" fore grip

The guide spacing is:

guide dist from tip size location
1 41 1/2" 16 315
2 32 3/4" 10 220
3 25 1/2" 10 190
4 19 5/8" 10 180
5 14 1/4" 10 180
6 9 1/8" 10 180
7 4 5/8" 10 180
tip UST #9

This is a long (7 1/2') rod for stand up but works great on party boats or private boats with outboards where a longer reach is often needed to clear obsticles. However is the boat you'll be fishing out of has inboards a shorter rod will be more comfortable.

Make sure you'll be fishing stand-up, the GF765ML won't play nice in a chair.

Make sure you'll be fishing for schoolies. That blank has no place playing with giants.

Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2008 04:30PM

The Volume 5 #6 issue will really help - it contains not only the information on handle and seat requirements but the different harness types and how to build for each specific set-up.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2008 08:23PM

Paul, find out who you are going with, and see how they are fishing for those BFT's. I know several guys up there who throw small poppers and fish for them on Spinning rods, as well as one guy who fly fishes for them. Just make sure before you build a stand up that is the type of fishing you'll be doing.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 18, 2008 07:00AM

Billy's right, check and see what they are using before you build. I built a Bluefin rod for a friend of mine in Maine last year, and it was a 130 lb blank, Aftco Super heavy duty bigfoots, swivel tip, and a bent butt. The reel is a Penn 130 and they don't take the rod out of the holder when fighting the fish. The last thing you want to do is hook-up with a 600 to 800 lb monster and be way undermatched.

Posted by: Al Sanders (---.mpihq.com)
Date: June 18, 2008 03:44PM

Are you fishing for school size bluefin or giants? I know the giants are around there later this summer. I would find out if you going for 30lb or 500lb fish. I just made a GF765ML for 60lb test with aftco rollers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2008 03:46PM by Al Sanders.

Date: June 18, 2008 11:23PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Called my North Shore host and it seems we'll be tossing jigs to "football" -sized BFT's (30-50lb). As I said, I'm a complete rookie at chasing tuna save for one eye-opening experience on a party boat in Block Island Sound years ago when one grabbed a diamond jig and circled the boat (tangling up every line aboard!) before we could stop it. Can't imagine what a 600lb giant would be like!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: June 19, 2008 07:38AM

Paul, I thought that might be the case. That blank is a little too heavy for what you are going to be doing casting those jigs & poppers.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: June 19, 2008 08:01AM

Billy is right. That blank is great with 60-80# test line and drag settings in the 15-30# range. Way more than you'll need for footballs. The 765L or 765XL would be perfect.

Date: June 19, 2008 11:03AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll save the GF 765ML blank for a "senior class" BFT safari after I cut my teeth on footballs next month!

Posted by: Joseph Bailleaux (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2008 02:41PM

Hey ! Paul , you have one of those frenchy names like mine .
I have yet to build a stand up tuna rod . I do build heavy bait rods. The most important advice I can give is to use corrosion proof or high corrosion resistant guides and tip tops.
Pac Bay DP Aeros , Batson 316 stainless frame Alps , or American Tackle titanium turbos and Atlas stainless guides are my favorites . They are expensive but worth every penny .
I do not baby my rods and hate to rewrap because an unsightly guide rusted out .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster