I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

measuring epoxy
Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: April 22, 2008 11:23PM

Hi all,

Just wondering how you guys measure out your epoxy. I have used syringes for a while but I'm thinking there must be an easier faster way. Anyone use pumps or other techniques?

cm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: measuring epoxy
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: April 22, 2008 11:28PM

Flex Coat has some pumps that screw right on your epoxy bottles. I use Threadmster epoxy so they fit other bottles than just Flex Coat.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 23, 2008 12:32AM

Syringes are the simplest most accurate method, in my opinion. I drill a hole in each cap just big enough to tightly fit a syringe tip into. Invert the bottles and draw out the amount of finish you want and squirt into a mixing cup. Stick the syringe back into the cap and draw back an inch or so and place on a shelf until next time. When the bottles run dry take the caps/syringes off and place on new bottle. Never have to clean the syringes and you can't mix them up or lose them. I've been using the same syringes/caps for at least a couple years. Quick, easy, no mess, no fuss and consistant, no brainer measurements every time no matter how little you mix.

One tip, though. Use the syringes that do NOT have the little black rubber on the end of the plunger. They can dry out, compress, get stuck or come loose.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 01:33AM

I have been using plastic graduated measuring cups that the suppliers on the left supply. You have to remember to much hardner and the stuff well never harden up. What ever system you decide to use, make sure you measure correctly
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 01:33AM

I have been using plastic graduated measuring cups that the suppliers on the left supply. You have to remember to much hardner and the stuff well never harden up. What ever system you decide to use, make sure you measure correctly
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2008 06:22AM

I am with Mike on this one ... SYRINGES. Drill your caps with a 5/32" bit and store them right there. IMO, it can't possibly get simpler or quicker. The accuracy is deadly and there is zero mess. Give it a try, you'll like it ... Mikey did!

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (116.90.53.---)
Date: April 23, 2008 09:03AM

Syringes. The only way to go.
Very accurate measurement and that is all that counts.
There are lots of different types of syringes on the market, but whateverv you chooses to use, buy in bulk.
Buying a box of 100 will save you heaps of worry in the long run.
It is up to you how you how you store them or how you use them, but for accurate measurement, the syringe is the only way to go.

Cheers
Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.34-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2008 10:58AM

WOW - drill a hole... so simple. Can't wait to drill mine out. Great tip I had not heard before.

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 08:36PM

Yeah sounds like a good idea. i hate dipping the whole syringe in the bottle and making a mess everywhere.

thanks

calvin

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 10:25PM

Just make sure to drill away from the bottle and clean away the shavings well. They will appear when you most dont need them to!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster