I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Rod ID/Appraisal
Posted by: Bill Swift (---.snlo.dialup.fix.net)
Date: October 16, 2002 11:10AM

Does anyone know of a good sourse, books, website, etc; to identify and maybe appraise old fly rods? I have several fly rods, both bamboo and other types which are very old. Most all still have factory stickers intact. Over the years, my customers have given the rods to me because they don't know what else to do with them and wanted to give them to someone who would appreciate them. I don't collect them but could not tell customers to give them to their kids or grandkids to use as duck and cattail beaters. I am more interested in their history than selling them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Rod ID/Appraisal
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2002 11:20AM

Bill
You can try this bulletin board [server2.ezboard.com]

Angler's Collectable exchange. There are several linked boards that deal with all types of collectable angling bits and pieces. For sure they will help with the bamboo ....
Just by the way I collect bamboo fly rods & started kind of like you -- I just couldn't see them being used for firewood. One thing that you will find is LABELS make the price soar.

Ken

Posted by: Phil Langford (166.82.124.---)
Date: October 16, 2002 12:55PM

I use Michael Sinclair's "Bamboo Rod Restoration" handbook extensively. A good read as well, not to mention a basic training class on how to restore, repair and identify bamboo fly rods and their makers.

Posted by: Mary Lou Van de Riet (---.mesh.net)
Date: October 16, 2002 01:39PM

Hi Bill.....
You might try...oldfishingstuff.com.....the site has links for bamboo fly rods...etc...etc.
Hope this helps........
Mary Lou

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 16, 2002 02:48PM

I would contact Russs Gooding at the Golden Witch website. Golden Witch is one of the sponsors listed on the left.

Posted by: Bill Swift (---.snlo.dialup.fix.net)
Date: October 16, 2002 07:48PM

You people are great! Thank you all for taking the time to help me. I have found the info quite useful. I was going to email two of you with some follow up questions but didn't want to do that without asking permission first. Thanks again.

Posted by: Mary Lou Van de Riet (---.mesh.net)
Date: October 16, 2002 10:06PM

Bill.........
I was looking through my notes for collectibles and had forgotten to include this website......www.Joes old lures.com......it's an extensive website.......
Mary Lou

Posted by: Gary Taylor (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: October 16, 2002 10:30PM

Hi Bill try this place value guide for bamboo fly rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster