I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Wrapping Jig
Posted by: Bob Widmaier (---.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2002 12:19PM

I am a novice at rod building and I am taking a class and building my first rod, a StCroix 9 ft 5 weight fly rod. As with most novice to rod building, I want to build some additional rods and would like to build my own V shaped rod jig. Can anyone tell me where I can get some plans with demensions, etc. for making a jig from wood?

Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Wrapping Jig
Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 16, 2002 09:10PM

I don't have any plans but can tell you what I did. I took some 1/4's and cut some pieces about 6 inches high. Then cut V notches in the tops. Then on the bottoms I drilled two holes and put in regular wood dowels. Then I bought a 4 foot piece of chip board and made a base with a series of holes at 2 inch intervals to accept the dowel pins in the bottoms of my V stands. I have 3 stand and can move them anywhere along the base.

I made a thread tensioner with another base and some all-thread rod with springs and wing nuts to put tension on the thread. On the base I put in a heavy wire and attached a SIC top to it with hot melt glue. The thread runs through that and up to the rod.

My set-up works fine and wasn't expensive to build. If I had to do it over again, I might just buy one of the basic wrapping jigs from Gudebrod. It's more portable and simple, but would be fine if you're only doing fly rods or shorter freshwater rods.

Date: October 17, 2002 12:23PM

Thanks for the input Ricky. The "If I had to do it over" is especially useful. Maybe I should just consider buying an inexpensive jig as my plans right now is to build light to medium fly rods (4-9 wts) and freshwater spinning and casting rods. Anybody else have any recommendations on a beginners rod jig?

Posted by: Jeff Stegner (---.SPFD.splitrock.net)
Date: October 17, 2002 12:38PM

here's a link to some basic plans.

[www.steelheader.net]

ps - unless you need portability, I'd make it at least 6' long.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Posted by: Dave Lockman (65.173.2.---)
Date: October 17, 2002 01:47PM

Bob -

There is a guy in Rochester, MN that makes a great rig and its fairly cheap. It is a portable type case that holds all your tools, thread, etc inside along with the rod supports and thread carriage. He even has a bracket for mounting a swing -arm lamp (the clamp on type).

I saw it demonstrated at a show in Breezy Point, MN. Its cool and its portable. I think he has two versions that cost from $60 - $80 (don't quote me on that!). Its great especially for multi piece rods.

If you are interested, click on my name to send me an e-mail and I will give you contact info.

Dave

Date: October 17, 2002 04:18PM

Hey Jeff.

Thanks for the information and plans on the steelheader site. That is just what I was looking for along with plans for a rod dryer too!! Your suggestion to make it 6 ft long is great. Lots of room to work.

Thanks

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster