I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding Check Size??
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 10, 2008 03:55AM

hey guys im about to order the parts for my next build and i have a question.

the build is a GUSA PUR70UL and in the handle assembly i am using some of Fuji's alluminium winding checks. But i dont know what size to get for the following items.

Fuji- A-CWCH and A-CWCF

The butt diameter of the blank is 11.4mm so any help would be appreciated as i would not have a clue as to sizing, such as should it be 1mm bigger etc etc.

sorry for the seemingly stupid question i just would like to get it right the first time

Cheers
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding Check Size??
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:10AM

Either call the place that is selling you the blank and ask them to measure it where ever you intend the winding checks to end up. Or wait till the blank comes and measure it yourself you will need a caliper or some kind of measuring device there is no other way if you want them to fit nicely.

Date: March 10, 2008 05:11AM

is there a recomended size like for example should i go for .5mm bigger than the measurement

Date: March 10, 2008 07:19AM

Yeah I would go .5 mm bigger than whatever is measured. The gap will be very small since it is divided around the blank so you will have a space of .25mm which is nothing. when you use a oversized winding check by .5
If you plan on putting it over thread you need to go 1mm bigger which is what I do, looks really nice with accent thread. see link...

[s208.photobucket.com]

Date: March 10, 2008 07:40AM

Thank you very much henry!

i plan to do a upside down IPS installation on this rod so that the bottom grip locks the reel into place and i plan on doing a tiger wrap in the spilt grip area so i will need it to go over thread.

Thanks Henry.

also if anyone has this blank just lying around could you do some measurements for me :P

Date: March 10, 2008 07:51AM

Hmmm if the grip needs to move back and forth with the aluminum check sliding back and forth over the thread it needs to be over sized by more than 1mm (1mm is only for bare thread and a stationary glued down check) the thread FINISH thickness comes into the factor now.

If its like the rod in this picture, its reverse of what you are doing but same principle with the grip locking down the reel the check needs to clear from rubbing on the blank and scratching it. If thats the case I would do something like 3-4mm bigger to be safe.

[s208.photobucket.com]

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: March 10, 2008 11:38AM

sounds like you are in the same boat i have been in for a few weeks. i am designing my line of rods, and i just had to learn patience. i order the blanks, grips. when i get the blanks in, i install the grips and measure for the reel seat. then when the reel seats come in, i measure for the WC. this is a long and frustrating process, but once it's all done, you can record the data and never have to worry about it again (unless you decided to use difference blanks).

Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (---.wadeconsult.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 07:25PM

hey tom
just another option if your not sure about winding checks, matagi has a range or handle kits that are very nice, which will take all the guess work out if your unsure. stuff from split grips uplocking ips (painted also) a great range of winding checks carbon and kevlar tubes. just do a search for matagi and navigate your way to the english page

Date: March 11, 2008 12:30AM

Those handle kits are $100 or more... Yikes.. And then on top of that the company Matagi choose to exclusively distribute their products in the US doesnt keep good stock on alot his stuff even just simple things as the winding checks. Matagi orders in the US get filled in 3 months if your lucky. This happend to me twice the first time I waited 3 months the second time I never got the parts after 4 months I gave up and just lost my damn money and got stuck with all the other items I bought to complete the rods. I wish someone would tell Matagi whats going on here.

Posted by: William Bartlett (74.197.146.---)
Date: March 11, 2008 01:36AM

Henry has a very good point with that supplier. However, You can order direct from Matagi. I believe Billy V. does this quite often. I'm sure he'll chime in.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: March 11, 2008 11:20AM

that's still a lot of dough for a handle assembly

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 11, 2008 01:53PM

Lance,

I whole heartedly agree, when you can get almost the same components from the sponsors to the left. However, If it's a very special rod for a special person, it may be worth it.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster