I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite Tool
Posted by: Paul O (---.iwco.com)
Date: September 11, 2001 08:20AM

Hi,

I was just wondering, outside of Masking tape, what is the most helpfull tool that you might use when making rods. I'm only asking to see if a beginner like me might 'need' some of these tools to make the project of building a rod easier.

Thanx in Advance.

PO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Tool
Posted by: Lynn (---.atomic.net)
Date: September 11, 2001 09:04AM

Hi Paul,
I'm a beginner too, and purely a hobbiest. I use my plastic burnishing tool alot. Kinda like a precise thumbnail for straightening and squaring wraps, packing the wraps as I go, and finally for burnishing the wraps when they're complete. I even use it to locate the crossover in exactly the right position when starting a wrap. Since I wrap on my kitchen table, I keep most of my epoxies, thread, razor blades, tools and brushes in a large round fruitcake can. This keeps the epoxies out of the light, and I use the lid of the can to mix Rod Bond on and put the same lid in the refrigerator and pour my wrap epoxy on it after mixing to allow the bubbles to dissapate and to extend the pot life of the epoxy. When I'm finished I wipe off the epoxy with a paper towel, clean with denatured alcohol, and put the lid back on the can.
Lynn

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: September 11, 2001 10:28AM

Paul,
There are several tools that are invaluable in rodbuilding.
The burnishing tool as mentioned is one, the plastic one made by gudebrod is excellent for flattening threadwindings and also for tightening up.
I also like some specialty tools such as some of the small dental instruments with a spatula on one end and the other either slightly hooked and rigid makes it handy in tight places or as a pick and in buttwrap work for moving threads where they belong. Some of the woodworking stores might surprise you with a few ideas. For example I have found a few pick like tools, spatulas, and handy holding tools for all sorts of rodbuilding tasks availble from a company in Canada called Lee Valley Tools. You might want to check them out.
For basic burnishing tools and specialty rodbuilding aids your friendly supplier can certainly help. Check with any of the ones on the list to the left. We have a limited offering as well as some books and videos showing some usage of specialty tools.

And don't forget the utility of using things like black electrical tape to easily keep the epoxies and glues off reel seats when bonding. A handy hint learned years ago for easier cleanups. Not tools necessarily but very useful aids to help better enjoy your rodbuilding.

You've come to the right site to get the information you'll need. Also feel free to contact me for any of your needs or help.
Good luck. and happy rodbuilding.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 11, 2001 02:03PM

My favorite tool is a measuring device I made over twenty eight years ago. I used to be a draftsman and took a piece of matt board, a material used to matt pictures in frames. It is a thick cardboard material. I made a measuring device about 5 inches long and one inch wide. I laid out a center line and then comenced to make equal marks, numbered out each direction from the centerline using millimeters and half dimentions Like a rule of sort. This tool is invaluable as there is nothing like it that I have found. It is useful for laying out the lengths of wraps and underwraps as I can lay it centered to each guide and reference where each should start and stop as not all guide feet are symetrical. You can measure both sides at once.If you do any underwraps with an inlaid ceterline then you know what I'm talking about. Anayway, I use this device every single day and have become very dependant on it.
If anyone is interested email me and I will send a picture.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: September 11, 2001 09:35PM

burnisher,sharp exacto blades,and I have a peice of picture frame plastic to wrap the threads in a band to weave with(still can't afford a jig,and too lazy to build one) and double sided sticky tape

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster