I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy Surf Rod
Posted by: Aaron Dent (---.frame.cavtel.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 10:49AM

Hey all. Recently started building and just joined the group a couple weeks ago. I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been. So thank you...

Im going to the expo next week several main goals..attend all of the seminars i can and find the right blank and components for a surf rod i need to build. Would also like to meet a bunch of you to put faces with names...

I do alot of shark fishing from the beach and want to try a new method this year that has worked well for folks over in south africa on big sharks..it involves casting a 12-14oz weight out as far as possible and slidelining a big bait out on a specialized clip...so...i need a long stiff rod for this with a heavy rating...i will use 65 or 80lb braid backing with a 50lb mono topshot...Just want to get some expert opinions to point me in the general direction of what blanks might be best for this..i know its a unique request and not a common fishing style around here..i looked into having some blanks shipped from overseas but the shipping charges are brutal..i am willing to spend whatever it takes to get the right blank though....you guys have any thoughts on this? I guess i dont really care if its a one piece or multi piece..im local and can drive on the beach though so a 1 piece rod isnt as much of a hassle for me as it may be for others..In your opinions, what would be the best set of guides to go after for this project? It seems most surf guides arent meant for the heavy stress that this rod will be under...any other considerations i might take in building this rod? Please feel free to bounce around ideas..i am positive that you all are far more aware of the scope of possibilities in terms of construction and components than i am at this point. Sorry for all of the questions but thought this might make for an interesting discussion....Thanks in advance for the help and looking forward to meeting you all at the expo next week! From reading the discussions about the expo, i expect to be fully overwhelmed by the mass amounts of information and items there and any research i can do ahead of time to narrow my scope a bit might help me fit everything into only 2 days...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy Surf Rod
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 10:59AM

Print your post and bring it to the Expo. You'll go home a very happy man -- everything you need will be there.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 11:15AM

Sounds like the same technique we used in Maui fishing for Ulua. Check out the Rainshadow SU1569 plenty of back bone and casting power.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: February 15, 2008 11:21AM

I have used a Rainshadow SU1569 to throw 12 and 14oz weights with big Bunker heads while surf fishing. It did a remarkable job and I think thats going to be your best bet.

I have also heard good things about the "NAIL" but I have not personally used it so I won't comment any further.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 12:07PM

Aaron , we will have the guides and tops and we will also have Wheels Reels , Anyfish Anywhere , the full line of Rainshadow , and a new line of CTS surf blanks . I hope you will stop by and check them out

Robert

Posted by: Aaron Dent (---.frame.cavtel.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 12:22PM

Thanks for the input so far guys! Specs on those rods look great.
Any input on guides for this set up?

Robert-I had a great first experience with you and Ray recently and you both have certainly earned my business! You can bet you will be one of my first stops at the show! Are you going to have the SU1569 and the nail rod at the show? Would be great to compare them side by side..im also excited about the CTS blanks..do they make a good one to fit these specs? If so, will you have it with you at high point? Looking forward to seeing you guys there...

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 12:51PM

Aaron , we will have the 1569 , not sure about the Nail , we will have CTS , we wanted to do different colors , but because of the time everything as far as I know right now will be Cobalt Blue. We only received the prototypes less then three weeks ago.

Robert

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 02:02PM

Another consideration when selecting a blank for your mud or anchor rod: It has to be long enough that, coupled with the height of a sand spike to provide adequate height to slide the baits down the line.

I use a 15 foot spinning rod for this. It , on top of a 5 foot sand spike gives adequate height.

It will cast a 5 ounce sputnik sinker 80-100 yards which is sufficient for the Gulf. Your conditions may differ..

I wish that I could remember who made the blank, but it was some years ago. Sorry.

If the gentleman wants to talk shark slide fishing he can email me at :[email protected]

BTW; it is guided Alvey Style. C2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 02:05PM by Charlie Smoote.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 15, 2008 02:26PM

AFAW wil have a booth down there with whith rods designed by people doing this type of fishing, for this type of fishing. Make sure you check them out as well.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 04:34PM

We will have the SU1569 built up and even has a cool Bell holder for the Ulua Bells we sell.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Thomas,Barry (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 06:24PM

Billy; I was told AFAW cancelled, Family Health Problem,Other people might have Blanks there

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 15, 2008 06:30PM

OOPs. THanks for the update.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (65.14.67.---)
Date: February 15, 2008 09:02PM

Lamiglas has a new GSB180 2MH, not even cataloged. Will be one in the Lamiglas booth at High Point.
15'
2pc.
60 lb.
10-16 oz lure.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Terry Reece (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 11:57PM

The Nail is an absolute beast of a rod. The average caster is simple not going to be able to load that thing to its full potential. There is a video of a Rob Alderman from Fish Militia casting a brick with it on YouTube. I got the chance to toss one a while back and with 8 ounces I could load it, but not very well. I put on 10 and 12 and tried that. It felt like it was loading pretty well with both. I usually fish the RS1569's, and I love those rods. For the price you can't beat them with a stick.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 05:09AM

"I do alot of shark fishing from the beach and want to try a new method this year that has worked well for folks over in south africa on big sharks..it involves casting a 12-14oz weight out as far as possible and slidelining a big bait out on a specialized clip...so...i need a long stiff rod for this with a heavy rating."

As mentioned, this is the standard technique in fishing for Ulua. A one way slide was developed in Maui many years back. However its use was discontinued in favor of a more generic "slider". In the last couple of years, the slider was re-introduced into Hawaii as the Australian Slider and it has regained popularity. The Australian slider will prevent a live bait from swiming back towards shore. It does not work well on shores that have a gradual slope or have little wave action. The use of the Austrailian slider may alleviate some of your need for a long rod.

"..i will use 65 or 80lb braid backing with a 50lb mono topshot..."

So, Penn 113HLW, Newell 546 or possibly a Daiwa 50SHV?
(That would be my recommended order).

"Just want to get some expert opinions to point me in the general direction of what blanks might be best for this..i know its a unique request and not a common fishing style around here.."

Considerations:
A rod that can handle the reel you will be using.
A rod that has an actual line rating of a minimum of 60#
For slide bait, a moderate action rod with a stiff/powerful tip (forget about sensitivity and bite detection)

Choices: Moderate to low

Lamiglas L6M, one piece fiberglass, I'm sure Todd Vivian can provide the specs.

Lamiglas 13' 6" one piece Lure 12 - 20 Fiberglass Surf SB 160 6M

Lamiglas 15' Lure 6 - 16 Fiberglass Surf SB 180 5F

OutCast/BigCatch several selections of Ulua blanks,
See the retailers link on my web page for retailers who are expert on Ulua fishing
Specifically: S. Tokunaga, Roy's and Brians
[www.donstacklehawaii.com]

Nitro (not affiliated with Wheels Reels)

Hope this helps,
Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Aaron Dent (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 10:51AM

Fantastic! What a great resource this is..i will indeed print this thread out and carry it with me at the expo so that i can follow up on all of these suggestions..you guys have given me a bunch of great options..sounds like a may need to build up more than one of these blanks ;) I hope everyone will be wearing name tags at this show!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster